Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Are there any proven techniques that can help my son to cope with noise ?


  • RimaRima Member Posts: 2
    Hello, my son has a diagnosis of Aspergers syndrome and is 40 years old. He has a flat in a block and trying to live independently but it is not easy as he has a neighbour who is a musician and plays his music very loudly. The Council say they cannot put any sound insulation in the flat as an adaptation. Instead they say he must try and call the noise patrol team to get the evidence to fine or evict him. However, this is too stressful for my son. Do you have any advice on how to deal with this situation ?
    Are there any proven techniques that can help my son to cope with the noise e.g. hypnosis, NLP etc ? if yes, contact details of anyone who can help will be welcome.
  • BusyOTBusyOT Member Posts: 76
    Hi Rima, I'm not sure of the evidence base for the interventions you mention (NLP, Hypnosis) in relation to tolerating sound and I have no particular contacts in that field. I do know that the NICE guidelines do not recommend Auditory Integration Therapy.
    Your son's particular situation sounds like it would be pretty stressful for anyone. I'm assuming someone has had a chat with the neighbour? Has your son tried any form of ear defenders that would help to deaden the sound? There are a wide variety out there and it's often worth trying both the over the head type and the smaller in the ear ones.
    I'm not sure how the noise prevention team work but would they be willing to leave a "recorder" in his flat for a few days - to save your son the anxiety of having to call them?
    Is he allowed to do any of his own "adaptations" in the flat - hanging thick curtains on the adjoining wall might help to deaden the sound. I'm sure I have read somewhere about "sound deadening" wallpaper but I can't remember where. It might be worth posting your query in the general forum and see if others have any ideas - I would imagine that lots of parents and supporters have had to do the same in their own homes.
    Sorry I can't be of more help, but please stay in touch and let us know if you find a solution.
Sign in or join us to comment.