My son is 10 and has Down's syndrome and autism, his behaviour can be quite odd — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son is 10 and has Down's syndrome and autism, his behaviour can be quite odd

stressederic
stressederic Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Comments

• stressederic
    stressederic Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi BusyOT,im new to this site,so bare with me!! My son is 10 and has downs syndrome and autism,as his behaviour can be quite odd hes also bein tested for frafile x.Im desperate for some advise,ive asked many professionals but not really gettin anywhere.Hes just started goin thru early puberty and he gets over sensortised.Ive been advised by GOSH he needs to see an OT to get a sensory diet organised,im told there arent any in havering.He licks floors and mouths most objects (his lead levels are also bein checked) do you know of any sensory exercises we can do to calm him down? His behaviour is very impulsive,any ideas how to deal with that,other than being a mind reading and knowin/guessing when he might push a child over,tv over or maybe pull the curtains down.I dont believe he does things for attention as he oftens does these things when im out of the room,its like he just cant stop himself.Any advise will be greatly received.
  • BusyOT
    BusyOT Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Hi stressederic (I assume your name is a reflection of how you feel!). I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to help - I only work with adults. The sensory processing training we do is different for adults and children and therefore I may give the wrong advice.
    I would however advise that you keep asking for OT. Although the paediatric OT may not have completed her training she should be able to give basic advice and know who to refer on to. I don't know how children's services work but in adult services pester power will get you there in the end and a good social worker / advocate can help fight your corner when you are exhausted.
    To find out what worked for others and for a bit of support try posting in the general forum - I'm sure you will find lots of helpful suggestions.
    Good luck and I hope you can become "eric" again sometime soon!

Brightness