new to this - teenage tantrums — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

new to this - teenage tantrums

westmidsgal
westmidsgal Community member Posts: 2 Listener
hi all, im dawn 43 with 3 daughters, 18,16,14, youngest one as mild cerebral palsy, learning difficulties, communication is not good (5 words max) at the moment i am having trouble getting her to bed at a decent time, doctor said keep her up but as the week passes by she just gets more tired and starts having tantrums throwing things, slamming doors answering bk (in her own way) any one know what else i can do

Comments

• Natasha Brown
    Natasha Brown Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
    doctors tend not to live with our children....

communication is key.

does she ollow a visual timetable at school?

set one up for home.

bedtime schedule - set up a visual schedule showing the wind dwn to bed routine?
    so she understands that eg after bath it is bed . end of.

try melatonin while you getting into the routine to aid getting to sleep?
  • westmidsgal
    westmidsgal Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    hi, yes she got a timetable at school what she has to stick by, as for me telling her to go to bed after a bath thats a no no been there done that many times and failed, can i get melatonin without prescription?
  • Heather
    Heather Community member Posts: 168 Connected
    Hi. I've used Melatonin to try and get my son to sleep.....worked for a few hours, then all hell let loose! Other friends have reported the same. We had to stop as my son's epilepsy was made worse by the drug, so be careful. It can be purchased over the counter in USA, but not in the UK. There are herbal medications which might help. Even KALMs might just relax your daughter enough to settle her down. Good luck....we all need our sleep!
  • Janine
    Janine Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    edited June 2014
    Probably done this already but have you made her bedroom "sleep friendly". Also a mum I work with got her daughter used to listening to relaxing music and this seems to be working. Janine OT
  • JimJams
    JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
    Start making all your rooms as dark as possible an hour before actual bed time, block out as much light as possible to stimulate the brains own malatonin hormone, yawn and stretch yourself, talk about how tired you are , and ask are you tired too, hopefully all these subliminal messages will take some effect. try and associate this time every day with a nice relaxing smell, lavender etc, start putting the lavender out at the same time each day and try and nice relaxing time or activity at the same time. hope this helps in some way
  • KarenG
    KarenG Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    We have bought this laser star light for our teenage son's room and it's very soothing, we've put it on a timer so it turns itself off. It is quite expensive but well worth it as it fills the whole rooms with gently moving tiny green stars and a blue nebula! It appears to be quite sturdy and operates on the mains.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Can-You-Imagine-5105-Projector/dp/B000VBNIP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330550529&sr=8-1

Brightness