Night time toilet training — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Night time toilet training

Options
socksoff
socksoff Community member Posts: 31 Connected
Just wondering what experiences of night time toilet training people have had? My autistic son is now 8 and we decided to take his nappy off at night while also trying to sort his sleep out so that he stays in his room all night. The staying in his room is working well by using a sleep training clock but he wees several times in the night and lets me know when he has done so. Is it pointless to try this yet? On the other hand he is never going to come to me and say that he doesn't want a nappy on!! Help!

Comments

• Heather
    Heather Community member Posts: 168 Connected
    Options
    Hi. We have tried night time training for many years. Our son is fast approaching 11. We waited for several dry nights and then talked to him about being a big boy. It worked for a few weeks, then the first upset and he regressed to nightly accidents. We went back to nappies. Then we tried several months later....same pattern. But now he is out of nappies and we find if he is bottomless...ie no pants at all, he seems to have a better chance of success. Still about one accident a week. But we are happy with that. So good luck and don't beat yourself up if your son isn't ready yet. It will happen in it's own good time. Don't give yourself more work than necessary. If he isn't ready there's nothing you can do to force it. It took our son 5 years to come off a bottle...but he done it when he was good and ready.
  • JimJams
    JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
    Options
    My son was not ready to try toilet training till 4.5 years old but after a long time came out of nappies in time for starting school. Night time i really just cut down on fluids from about 7pm and made sure he went to the toilet before bed. However I find when he has something else on his mind or a cold or something he goes back to bed wetting, its as if his senses are focusing on other things and maybe not getting the signal to his brain that he needs the toilet, could you put a potty in his room, maybe the fact he has to stay in his room is putting him off going to the toilet as he is trying to do the thing you have asked of him. In my experience I would say he is maybe thinking (but I cant leave the room till the clock says so). Or does he leave the room to tell you he has done so. I always find that I really need to try and put myself in my sons head, to work out what is causing certain behaviours.
  • Teresa
    Teresa Community member Posts: 24 Listener
    Options
    Yes, I've found that about my daughter staying in bed because I've told her to. I have to be very careful when she goes to bed to say her to her 'What do you do if you need a wee?' to which she answers 'Go to the toilet'. It does seem to have made a difference, even though it sounds so simple. I think she was genuinely confused before, and thought she was not supposed to get out of bed, even to go to the loo.
  • bilbobaggins
    bilbobaggins Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi, even though at age 10, my son is still not dry at night I do think that by reminding them that they are allowed to get out of bed to go to the toilet is a good idea. It hasn't worked for us yet as I think he goes into such a deep sleep he just doesn't wake, even if he's laying in a completely wet bed (we are waiting for a continence alarm at the moment) but he has fortunately always been so good for bed, and staying in bed, that I think he is confused about getting up once he's in there. If he needs the toilet before he's gone to sleep, he will always call out from the bedroom as ask to go for a wee and every time I tell him yes, just get up and go! One day, fingers crossed.

Brightness