Please advise how adults with autism can get SALT to help speech and communication difficulties — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Please advise how adults with autism can get SALT to help speech and communication difficulties

ASAP
ASAP Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2021 in Sensory impairments

Comments

• ASAP
    ASAP Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hello Chris, Please advise how adults with autism can get SALT to help speech and communication difficulties, when they have trouble being understood and understanding others in adult life which limits their chances of successful social interaction and job opportunities.
  • LondonSpeechTherapy
    LondonSpeechTherapy Community member Posts: 60 Connected
    Wow lots of questions :)

Dear ASAP,

With regards to adults with learning disabilities and/or Autism there should be a local Community Learning Disability service who may be able to offer some general strategies. The difficulty with adult provisions is that they are often geared towards risk and therefore Dysphagia (eating & drinking difficulties) are often prioritised over communication.

First try speaking to your GP and see if he knows of local services, often ALD services do not have websites.

Also try The National Autistic Society for strategies at http://www.autism.org.uk/ .

**If you are considering private SLT input the Association of Speech & Language Therapists in Independent Practise (ASLTIP) website is www.helpwithtalking.com. I am also gathering details of SLTs who I work with at my website www.SpeechTherapyUK.co.uk.

I hope that helps

Brightness