12 year old boy with anger issues — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

12 year old boy with anger issues

anne2
anne2 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
hi my son has gobal develmental delay .he gets very angry, yesterday he broke the glass door he was not hurt.he always blames us for his anger.
tryed to be calm any suggestions

Comments

• Heather
    Heather Community member Posts: 168 Connected
    I am soooooooooooo with you Anne. My little one is 11 and school are saying he is uncontrolable. Hormones have a lot to do with it...my 14 yr old daughter was lucky to survive and she's "normal". We are seeking alot of support as school seem angry at us, but social services are very supportive and the medical experts. Thinking of trying herbal medication for anxiety...if it doesn't work on him, I'll take it!
  • Natasha Brown
    Natasha Brown Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
    is all about communication isnt it?
    can he express his feelings well?

have CAMHS offered any help and strategies?
  • Heather
    We have asked for CAMHs input for years. Finally on their waiting list Tier 3 (whatever that means) but as our son is non verbal we've been told they may be of little support and to expect to go onto the Maudsley Hospital waiting list next.
  • anne2
    anne2 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    thanks been to camhs a few strategies that helped .they said due to his learning difficilty..
    we have decided to keep at diary so we can see triggers .at school he is ok its at home or sometimes if we are out.spoke to school they are understanding ,he is going to talk to school nurse .as it is a school for special needs .
  • JimJams
    JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
    Maybe try a calm down routine and a card showing the steps ,ie sit down deep breaths etc and lots of exercise to get his frustrations out.
  • Natasha Brown
    heather - if non verbal what is his communciation?

with my son it has all been about being able to communicate - what method of communication is he usijng? PECS? signs? symbols? typing?

due to his LD is a cop out really - it is about being able to communicate his feelings/wants/needs and you being able to communicate to him.
    schedule baods can help with transitions and knowing what is coming next where you going etc.

anne - evne if he is verbal he may not be finding effective ways to communicate is thoughts...??
  • Natasha Brown
    schedule boards i mean
  • Heather
    Hi. Thanks for all the ideas. My little one uses VOCA, some sign and PECs. But being severely dyspraxic his signing is pretty rough and exercise to get rid of frustration is very difficult for him. But this holiday he has been a dream, shows that the behaviour is all focused at school. So we have been forced to take the drastic action of pulling him out of school. It was soul destroying watching him suffer and then school punish him by removing rewards etc...he just couldn't cope. GP supporting us signing him off with anxiety/stress. Time out now to rethink next step.
  • Sarah_lou
    Sarah_lou Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi I have a 12 year old son he has Global developmental delay. And His anger issues are getting worse. No matter how calm i stay. Or walk away he always end up smahing something or kicking and punching me. Or he bites himself!
    We went the Camhs team they didn't help as he didn't understand what they where saying to. He has a punch bag which he won't use. We have tired counting to 10. i have tried many things its just getting more and more upsetting!
  • Heather
    Hi Sarah-Lou
    So sorry to hear how bad things are. It's soul destroying watching your child so unhappy. Would your son tolerate any herbal input to try and calm him? Are there specific areas triggering the out bursts? It's hard to become a detective and mind reader as our children just don't have the skills to know what's wrong, or how to cope. No magic answer from me I'm afraid. Taking our son out of school has proved a real bonus as the situation was affecting his health so much. But I totally understand and if you need an area to scream...we're here!

Brightness