Longing to be regular — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Longing to be regular

Options
EllaB
EllaB Community member Posts: 26 Connected
I'm posting on behalf of an elderly friend who has a son with Down's syndrome in his 50's. He swings dramatically between being completely constipated to having chronic diarrohea. He is believed to have early onset Altzheimer's, although this hasn't been formally diagnosed yet, and my friend is wondering whether this is a sign of things to come. Is anyone else experiencing similar problems and, if so, can you suggest a solution? Remedies for constipation simply cause more severe diarrohea and conversely Imodium bungs him up for days so she's reluctant to try either. She's at her wits end.

Comments

• StuartMills
    StuartMills Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hi,

If you email us / call us at the Down's Syndrome Association, we can seek advice for you.

Email: stuart.mills@downs-syndrome.org.uk

Tel: 020 8614 5100

Best Wishes
    Stuart Mills
    Information Officer
  • mel-f
    mel-f Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    My daughter suffered /suffers from constipation and diarrohea for a long time and being young it took ages to diagnose. She basically was suffering from constipation which when too much pressure builds up in the colon, manifests itself with what seems to be the opposite - diarrohea. Go to the GP rather than trying over the counter medicines. There is a medication called Movicol which can be prescribed. Try to restrict the amount of bread (white bread is the worst) and bread-like foodstuffs. Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables and drink lots of water (a couple of litres a day). All those things should reduce the problems experienced.
    Good luck!
  • toast
    toast Community member Posts: 46 Listener
    Options
    I was going to say same as poster above- are you sure it's not 'overspill'? My daughter had horrendous fecal impaction- but basically we didn't have a clue and thought she'd got diarrhoea. We stopped all her constipation meds and basically the problem escalated. I would say if he chap hasn't had a formed bowel movement in a while- this could be problem. The bowel distends as a result of constipation/ impaction and liquid seeps around the blockages. The person is unable to control this cos of distention of bowel and his it appears like diarrhoea. I would seek medical advice. A good doc can feel the abdomen and often tell. Or can refer for stomach x ray. You can take the meds from there. We regularly use movicol for my daughter. Have also had various enemas/ washouts. Hope it gets sorted soon
  • Natasha Brown
    Natasha Brown Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
    Options
    Yes is likely to be overflow.
    My son had this.
    Get x ray to check for sure if there is impacting or a good gastro or gp can tell by feeling tummy.
    Need a good clear out then something ongoing.
    We were recommended probiotics by an allergist and he takes half teaspoon powder daily it really makes a difference . I notice if he doesn't take for few days. Or actimel or similar but bio care make a powder which can be easily mixed into juice or milk or water . In health food shops or online look for bio care probiotic powder
  • EllaB
    EllaB Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your responses. I know she is doing all the right things in terms of giving him plenty of fibre, avoiding white bread etc but it's interesting to hear about this issue of overflow. She has recently taken him back to the doctor who has told her to try something called Fybogel, which is supposed to make movements more regular. Don't know if anyone's come across this?
  • Natasha Brown
    Natasha Brown Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
    Options
    fybogel - loved by midwives ;) if you ever been pregnant itis (or used to be) on the list for post birth! you can buy the sachets in boots
    "This medicine swells as it absorbs water in the bowel and the increased bulk in the bowel helps regulate bowel movement. It also softens stools and makes them pass through the bowel more easily and is particularly useful if stools are small and hard as it reduces straining. "

yes can help but need good look and/or xray to confirm if there is impaction and treat that properly.

too much fibre can increase dairrhoea/irritate the stomach. have a good look at diet with community dietitican?

and take probiotics
  • hugo_monkey
    hugo_monkey Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I take fybogel twice daily (morning and night) for IBS. It gently helps aid movement and is less harsh compared to movical etc. I also feel that looking at diet helps alot. There are certain food which I have restricted, others I have cut which I believe I have an intolerence to, it's trial and error really. Hope this helps

Brightness