Sole carer for my 13-yr old daughter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sole carer for my 13-yr old daughter

Alistair
Alistair Community member Posts: 102 Listener
I am sole carer for my 13 year old daughter who has MLD and ASD. Her Mum does not live with us but is still arround and has Bi polar disorder which just adds to the mix.

Comments

• stretch
    stretch Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited June 2014
    Hi, I am sole carer for my 12 year old lad with Cerebral Palsy and have an ex with type 2 Bi-Polar. And life is complicated.
    I've replied on this thread because whilst I know that there must be other men in similar situations to me I haven't felt it before and I'm very grateful just to hear that people like Alistair are out there too.
  • Alistair
    Hi, stretch. Like you, I felt there must be others out there in similar circumstances but wasn't expecting someone with a bipolar ex.
    I think that illness is harder to cope with than the disability
    Is your son a wheelchair user and how much support do you get.
    My daughter and I are very isolated. Family and friends who can't understand either conditions.
    (That's a little unfair but it's how it feels at times).
    Nice too meet you, keep in touch
  • stretch
    stretch Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Actually Matthew's CP is relatively mild (he can walk well but he does still struggle a lot with stairs). But its certainly enough for me to have to cope with. We are isolated from family but have good friends although we don't live near them so see them irregularly.
    My las is actually off school with a cold so I'm working from home and should get back to it, Thanks for replying.
  • Alistair
    I've worked with kids of all abilities and can imagine (esp 'cos I'm living with it myself now) what a strain it can be. Is your ex still part of yous lives?
    If you'd like to chat more privalely then ask Emma (Website manager) for my Email.
    I have found this site to be a real support and it's really interesting to have come into contact with someone in a similar sittuation. Take care.

Brightness