Independence skills — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Independence skills

JimJams
JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
I had a meeting with my sons school on monday and they gave me a rather large kick up the bottom, re my sons lack of independence skills, over the years bit by bit I have been doing everything for him, I had not realised by doing this I am not really preparing him for the future, the advice they gave me was , if it is not appropriate when he is 18 then tackle it now, so just thought I would pass on my kick in the bottom to anyone else who has ended up like me

Comments

• Alistair
    Alistair Community member Posts: 102 Listener
    Oh Marie, I understand where you're coming from.
    My daughter expects me to do everything for her and as she becomes a young adult it is just not appropriate.
    There is a teaching method called 'backward training'.
    You look at the steps involved in a task and then do the steps for the person you are caring for, explaining as you go. Then you encourage them to do the last step (they have completed the task!) and then gradually get them to do the second to last etc until they can do it for themselves.
    I hope that makes sense and might help.
  • JimJams
    JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
    The school did mention the backward training, so I will use that, I dont know how I ended up like this, I was sure that being a stalker mum was just not me, but I am one apparently, so I need to take a step back and let my wee boy grow up a wee bit, but he is not happy about the changes.

Brightness