my husband is worried by using pictures to communicate he will lose words he already has — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

my husband is worried by using pictures to communicate he will lose words he already has

Options
JimJams
JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
edited October 2021 in Sensory impairments

Comments

• JimJams
    Options
    Hi Chris, I just posted a wee note about using visual timetables for my son, he has been using them at school and sometimes at home, but school are suggesting we use them all the time for everything as his understanding of language and ability to communicate is poor, he is 7 and has autism, my husband is worried by using pictures to communicate he will lose words he already has, can you advise if this method is the best way forward
  • LondonSpeechTherapy
    LondonSpeechTherapy Community member Posts: 60 Connected
    Options
    Hi Marie,

I hope you are enjoying the festive 'break'. I apologise in advance but I can't give you a straight answer as every child (yes, including every child with Autism) is different. In my experience a Total Communication approach that includes sign, symbol, using iPads etc and encouraging verbalisations and/or speech is the best approach. There has been research done about using symbols and the evidence points towards the use of symbols (such as PECS) ENCOURAGING verbal language development and not hindering it. Speak to your local SLT and I'm sure they can support you. Chris
  • JimJams
    Options
    Thanks for that I will get more info from the school and slt, happy new year

Brightness