we need to find gaps within adult learning disability services and propose a service to fill it. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

we need to find gaps within adult learning disability services and propose a service to fill it.

Comments

• LearningDisability
    LearningDisability Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi there,

I'm a little unsure if I am using the website correctly! I am a third year OT student studying in the University of Liverpool.
    At the moment we are doing a 'Service Proposal', where by we need to find gaps within adult learning disability services and propose a service to fill it.

I have been doing some reading and research and obviuosly learning disability is a very big area, and just wondered if you had any ideas or info on service gaps that you may have come across or barriers faced by some service users.

Would really appreciate and information,

Thank you.
  • BusyOT
    BusyOT Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    edited June 2014
    Wow, that's a big question! The gaps within LD services are huge and vary across the country. I'll list some of my thoughts and maybe one will inspire you. Support for parents with a learning disability - service proposal would be about getting families together, education etc. Access to supported work opportunities - service could be a social enterprise. A local small service that can meet the needs of individuals with behaviours that challenge services thus preventing them from having to move out of area. Improving the experience of people with a learning disability in hospital - some good examples across the country but it's not consistent. Short breaks and moving away from traditional respite in a unit to the same definition of holiday that the rest of the world use!!
    Hope this helps. Feel free to email me if you want to discuss further. Good luck!
  • LearningDisability
    LearningDisability Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Yeah, it is very broad and at the moment we are in the process of identifying the gaps before thinking of ideas in service proposal. Is it ok to ask questions on this or do you have an email address you would rather I use? I think it would be good to get your perspective on the gaps that I have found to see with your experience if you could provide me with any other useful information. Thank you, really appreciate it.
  • BusyOT
    BusyOT Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Hiya, I'm very happy to discuss more. It would be great to see if you folks can come up with some new, innovative ideas - fresh eyes are always welcome! Feel free to email me on Arlene.johnstone@gmail.com

Brightness