How would you go about assessing and assisting these students from an OT point of view. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How would you go about assessing and assisting these students from an OT point of view.

Comments

• Jacky
    Jacky Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    "HI there
    I work in South Africa as an Occupational Therapist at a further education and training (FET) college. Usually students who are not accepted at University study at fet level. Students also usually do not have very good results from high school.
    The fet college offers skills based courses in hospitality, engineering (motor, welding, electrical), as well as other academic courses such as financial and business management.
    The challenge I have is working with adults with learning difficulties. Ages range from 16 to 40 years old. They usually struggle with reading, writing and maths. Also comprehension of course content a problem.Many come from poor socio-economic backgrounds, minimal to no parental involvement, resources are lacking, no prior remedial or OT intervention etc
    How would you go about assessing and assisting these students from an OT point of view.
    Any ideas would be insightful.
    thanks
  • BusyOT
    BusyOT Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Hi Jacky, are you using any assessment tools or models? MOHO would probably be a good place to start, the range of assessments might be useful. Search for MOHO Clearinghouse and you should find something that will help.
  • Jacky
    Jacky Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi BusyOT I will check it out...thanks

Brightness