learning skills — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

learning skills

Options
fizzypop
fizzypop Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My daughter is 13 and she has moderate learning difficulties. She had microcephaly all her development has been delayed. She goes to mainstream secondary school. Academically she is performimg very poorly. She can barely write and struggles with simple maths, also cant understand the instructions unless they are fairly simple. All the way we tried her to be in a unit but they said she is borderline so kept her mainstream. Now i wonder it would have better if she was in a unit so she wouldnt be performing so badly. Her intellectual gap has also grown wider over years compared to her peers.

Comments

• Natasha Brown
    Natasha Brown Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
    Options
    Hi fizzy
    I think at any stage you sometimes have to reconsider a child s placement, visit local and out of county schools and see if there is a better fit,
    Ask current school first to address any concerns as you will need to show lea you have tried that....
    It all depends how the particular school whether mainstream a unit or an sn school is catering for her specific needs .
    Do some research and visit other possible options....
  • sandrawm
    sandrawm Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    You know her best. I wanted my son in mainstream and it worked well however when he moved to middle school the gap widened and in my effort for inclusion I found because of the gap that he was excluded from more lessons Moved him to school for mod learning diffs. Yes he could've prob been pushed harder however he learned far more important life skills so for us it was right

Brightness