i have recently found out my condition is called c.p — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

i have recently found out my condition is called c.p

angiemac79
angiemac79 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
i am absolutley devastated at finding out the condition i have been living with all 41 years of my life has a name and its something i never dreamt would relate to me. i have been suffering tiredness and trips more often over the past few years but put it done to me having a 'tight tendon in my ankle' never did i think it was an actual condition. i just thought it was 'something i was born with'. it explains so many things about my trouble with walking and my diagnosis of osteoarthritis in my hips and knees and the issues i have in my lower spine. i can't believe i have so much in common with people on here it is great to get it off my chest and talk to people who also have the same symptoms. it is something i have learned to live with but i am tripping over more and more and it is becoming increasing dangerous. i am falling over at work and have my duties changed to support this. (i am a teaching assistant for children with special educational needs) i dont know how i am supposed to cope with this or deal with it. it is written on my medical records that i have c.p but was never actually told,is this negligence? i take it neither was my mum told ,she told me everything about my health but sadly she passed away 20 years ago so i will never truly know .i am at my wits end right now and deeply shocked.

Comments

• milo
    milo Community member Posts: 129 Pioneering
    Can understand that it has come as a shock to you. In my case I had problems all my life and was told I had characteristics of cp but I only actually had it confirmed recently when my mobility deteriorated (I'm 39). Having said that, while it means there is a name for it, the problems it causes don't change just because of a label. In terms of dealing with it I can only speak from my own point of view, you are still the same , the fact that you have cp doesn't change what's inside or how you deal with mobility,tripping etc.
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    Thanks for your post Angiemac79, I can appreciate that you must being feeling shocked, at time is there a sense of relief as you now understand a little better why perhaps you have been falling, very tired etc? I totally agree with Milo, that having a label doesn't change who you are inside, and that is the most important thing. It sounds like despite challenges most of your life you have achieved alot. I'm sure you are very appreciated in the work you do.

If you have any concerns of or questions to do with any aspect of CP or disability please feel free to just ask, so many of us can help point you in the right direction to get you the help and support you need.

Keep us posted :-)
  • Jill2013
    Jill2013 Scope Member Posts: 12 Listener
    I can totally understand your shock. I experienced the same thing last year. I knew I had problems with my legs when I was about 10 and had legs in plaster etc. My parents were told something but didn't understand any medical terms that was used. I was just told to get on with it as I had treatment by my parents. However I continued to struggle. It wasn't until I changed my GP last year after moving house and I was explaining all the problems I had. They said it was due to my condition and they mentioned CP. I was so shocked however it has brought lots of benefits and explains my whole life. I am 43. I was referred to a number of people inc physio and now under orthotics. I have been given a night leg splint which has helped but is uncomfortable so they are now going to make new ones that fit me and not off the shelf ones. Having the label doesn't change the person you are but it helps to get the right support.
  • angiemac79
    angiemac79 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    my goodness such great support . it's good to know i can share my experiences with others. My friends and relatives all seem to be quite blase about it. i don't know how they can be so calm cos i'm a mess! Noah , i have achieved a lot considering the odds were against me from the beginning,but feel i have the strength to carry on as best and as normal as possible. i'll definitely be keeping udated on here . thank you everyone !
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    Your very welcome. Thank you for your appreciation. Don't give up, keep fighting and moving forward. Now you know, you can hopefully, ensure you get all the right support that you need :-)

Brightness