Daughter can't seem to switch off and dreams a lot — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Daughter can't seem to switch off and dreams a lot

hayes360
hayes360 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Ask a Sleep Practitioner.

Comments

• hayes360
    Hi my daughter is 5.5 years old and does not like sleeping, she can't seem to switch off and dreams a lot! she does not drink fizzy drinks not over the top on sweets (never at night) does not play on iPad / computer games ect in the evening.We have a hall light on and her younger sister shares a room with her but she will not stay in her bed the moment she wakes she panics and comes in with us,she isn't being naughty she genially has a problem but I just don't know how to help her I would be grateful for any fresh advice many thanks sam
  • SleepPractitioners
    SleepPractitioners Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    edited September 2014
    Hi @hayes360,
    I would get a social story written for her, explaining what dreams are (and that nightmares are just bad dreams!) I would also put a familiy photo in her room, it can be comforting on our natural night wakings (we all have 4-5!) also try putting your pillow case on her pillow (the scent will be comforting) How long does she take to fall asleep?
    Em x
  • hayes360
    ThanksI will try this. She usually cuddles up to me and falls asleep it takes between half hr to an hour I will put her in her bed usual time of 7-8pm but you can guarantee she will be up and in our room by 10pm she hates being on her own in the night!
  • SleepPractitioners
    SleepPractitioners Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    edited September 2014
    Hi @hayes360,
    One of the reasons she could be waking is because you are with her, if she falls asleep with you there and then you sneek out, when she comes round for one of her natural night wakings she will fully wake as you have vanished! You really want a child to be awake when you kiss goodnight!
    I would also advise that if it takes an hour for her to fall asleep, start your routine an hour before this, so she associates bed with sleep. Then bring it back every 3 days by 15 minutes.
    It can take two weeks for a child to learn a new behaviour so consistency is key with whatever approach you choose.
    Good luck
    Em x

Brightness