I look after a 27 year old young lady with cp who is wheel chair dependent — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I look after a 27 year old young lady with cp who is wheel chair dependent

viv
viv Community member Posts: 2 Listener
she lives alone and I am growing very concerned about the amount of alcohol she is consuming she knows she is drinking far to much but she does not care. she was in hospital last week with cellulitis which I understand happens to drinkers

Comments

• viv
    viv Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited January 2015
    I don't really know what to do as she has fallen out with her other carers, if anyone approaches her on the subject she throws them out, she does listen to me when I am there but I can't be all the time
  • VickyS
    VickyS Community member Posts: 129 Connected
    Hi Viv,

I know this is a difficult situation and you're only thinking of her but if she has capacity then it's her decision if she wants to drink. However if you feel she is vulnerable and at risk then you can always bring this up with her other carers and escalate it through official channels highlighting it as a safeguarding issue.

She may be drinking as there are other problems in her life that she doesn’t want to face. You could try suggesting counselling but it depends how close you are to her, it’s likely that this isn’t advice she will want! (If you're looking for general alcohol advice to pass onto her then you can look at the Alcohol Concern website: https://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/).

It’s so good to know that she has someone who cares about her. Please keep us updated and I wish you the best of luck.

Vicky x

Brightness