My son has severe learning difficulties on his statement but think he has autism — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son has severe learning difficulties on his statement but think he has autism

Options
Doodledawnie
Doodledawnie Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited August 2016 in Autism and neurodiversity
My son has one to one teacher and he's 9 yrs old,he has señor issues and he runs off or hide hates noices and lights he gets angry he had been steatmented with server learning diffeitys but no autism how to get them to listen to me school anyone this isn't helping me with my son please help thinking to pay private

Comments

• VickyS
    VickyS Community member Posts: 129 Connected
    Options
    Hi Doodledawnie,

It might be worth paying privately for the assessment just to get peace of mind. Have you talked to the National Autistic Society? There website looks to be quite good in regards to getting a diagnosis: http://www.autism.org.uk/about-autism/all-about-diagnosis/diagnosis-the-process-for-children.aspx

I hope everything sorts itself out, keep us updated!

Vicky xx  
  • Natasha Brown
    Natasha Brown Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
    Options
    the ADOS assessment is good. ask NAS which centre to got o.  
    have OT assess him for sensory processing issues too  -and devize a programme to address the sensory issues  . 
  • carerfor2decades
    carerfor2decades Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Options
    Hi Dawn, how have things progressed, if at all? My daughter is 20, her statement says Global Developmental Delay, but that was written before she started school, which seems like a long time ago now. She has severe learning disabilities, brain damage, hip deformities, low vision & undx Autism to name but a few. If I knew way back then what I know now I would absolutely push even harder for the Autism to have been diagnosed. I thought it wouldn't make a difference to her education as she was already in a MLD and later an SLD school. Looking back and thinking of now where she gets no help, no college or day centre as she wants and she doesn't want to go to a residential college. I feel that the diagnoses of Autism could have helped her to have more choices. I did however stop thinking I was going a bit crackers and I had imagined the Autism, it's there, it's real and it affects her every day. I hope you find the strength that would need and would remind you that you are an expert too, in the area of your child. Good Luck
  • Doodledawnie
    Options
    Feels alone sometimes school thinks he has now Global delay,short term memory loss still waiting for to be seen heard nothing so far and I keep phoning up every week. Err had school to do emergency assessment for my son go to castle school which is a speacIllist school only had this done last week. And has sensory issues in he's class room there can't cope without he's one to one teacher,he sucks he's shirts gets sore lips, now rocking with nose sorry I'm dyslexic I hope you all can understand me.Feels no one is listen as my son has most check list and he's senco teacher is **** she thinks josh in her Appion has no autism as he's to over the top he kisses boy/girls in his classroom everyone he's over the top to much in he's classroom is this normal but than shy wired. He makes funny nosice too than hands over his ears if to much, try's to run off how do I comfort him, he has no friends in school as all thinks he's wired breaks my heart.
  • Doodledawnie
    Options
    He can speak basic short sentence but can't with big groups,so kids in his class don't understand him makes him feel sad,I have picture boards he can't get dress by him self,and gets very emossion gets upset most of the time.just don't know how to help him
  • carerfor2decades
    Options
    You sound like me a few years ago hun. I thought I was going mad with the circles the so called professionals used to send me around in.

Maybe your little one benefit from some sensory aids, things like ear defenders and chewies. I don't know if links can be put on here but I will try.

I was told my daughter cannot be Autistic because she is a girl and 70% of people with Autism are boys! I tried not to swear in my reply to that doctor when I pointed out that 30% must be girls or aliens then.

Keep strong hun, you may not know the 'names or terminology' for your son's behaviour but you do know your son.

Have you spoken to an organisation called Parent Partnership? They are parents who have been there like us and then trained to help other parents. I think they mostly help with school issues. It may be worth looking them up.
  • carerfor2decades
    Options
    http://www.parentpartnership-reading.org/home.html This is a link for one of the parent partnership web sites, it would give you a basic idea of what they do, but you would need to find the one in your area. If you have any problems finding it let me know your area and I will see if I can find their web site.
  • carerfor2decades
    Options
    http://cheapdisabilityaids.co.uk/special-needs-chew-toys-36-c.asp This is a link to one of the many sites that sell sensory aids such as chewies. There are loads of pictures on this site to give you some ideas of what they have and how they are used. I would say though that you & your son would benefit from some advice from an Occupational Therapist (OT), if your experiences at school have not been good then ask your GP or paediatrician for a referral to a childrens development centre or an OT. Please feel free to ask me anything you want to, been there myself.
  • janeysue21
    janeysue21 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hi Dawn,
    sorry I don`t have much experience of autism so am not qualified to advise you,
    I wish I was. All I can advise is contact support groups for Autism, speaking to
    other mums who understand what you are going through will be helpful. I hope
    things get better for you soon.
    Best wishes Jane
  • socksoff
    socksoff Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Options
    Hi there - it does sound as though your son has lots of autistic traits (speaking as a mum not as a professional) and I think it would be best to go back to your GP to try and get things sorted out as they can refer you to a paediatrician who is qualified to diagnose. And I'd agree with other people here about finding a parent support group for special needs and/or autism as that is the way I found out most things to help with my son. It sounds as though school are not understanding his behaviour either and they may need some training in autism awareness from the Autism Education Trust: http://www.aettraininghubs.org.uk - there is also a parent section on there. I really hope that you get some help soon.

Brightness