Education and learning
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Is one hour adequate to make a full assessment for refusing to put him forward for an EHC?

amuminneedamuminneed Member Posts: 2 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hello my name is Hannah and I'm an educational psychologist.


  • amuminneedamuminneed Member Posts: 2 Listener
    My son was seen last year by an EP in school and we were advised to go through with social communication panel which we are still on the waiting list for. We have had problems with the school since and as they forgot to refer him for a statement which they agreed was needed. Now the same EP has observed him for an hour and said as he was happy that he does not need a statement (EHC) despite him being on the P Scale and he is saying he wants more help and being afraid to attend school. Is one hour adequate to make a full assessment for refusing to put him forward for an EHC?
  • EducationalPsychologistEducationalPsychologist Member Posts: 119 Courageous
    Hello amuminneed,
    The first and most important thing to note is that you can request an EHC assessment yourself. You don't need permission from the school or EP. It is also not the EP's role to say whether or not your son needs an EHCP. I also suggest you contact the EP directly and ask for a full cognitive assessment so you can get a clear understanding of your son's strengths and needs and detailed advice for supporting his learning. You are likely to have to fight for an assessment from the local authority EP as they have very limited time. If you would like to consider an independent psychologist, you can find one at If you would like to speak with parents who have been/are going through similar situations, there is a Facebook group called It's Not Just You. It is concerning that your son is saying he is afraid to go to school. Make sure this is made clear to any EP you speak to. Finally, it may be worth reading the school's SEN policy and, if you feel they are not abiding by it, follow the school complaints procedure.
    Best of luck!
Sign in or join us to comment.