Does the fact our little girl has sensory problems make it more likely that she is on the spectrum? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does the fact our little girl has sensory problems make it more likely that she is on the spectrum?

Blossom
Blossom Community member Posts: 2 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Ask an Educational Psychologist.

Comments

• Blossom
    Blossom Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi there,
    Our little one is 4 years old and is currently being assessed by Ed Psych. I think it's pretty much been concluded that she struggles with anxiety, selective mutism and sensory problems. She does have some unusual behaviour and struggles with interaction. They are saying poss too soon to say whether she is on the autistic spectrum (perhaps more Aspergers) - she may be assessed again in 12 months time. In the meantime I think they are going to provide a report with strategies to help at school and I guess at home. My question is, and it's one I wish I asked the EP previously, I know selective mutism doesn't always equal ASD and I believe some of the associated traits are similar to that of ASD and often misdiagnosed as such, but does the fact our little girl has sensory problems, unusual interaction, anxiety, along with SM, make it more likely that she is in fact on the spectrum or perhaps just sensory processing disorder with SM? I don't know?! Her behaviour this past week has become more extreme with clothes removal side of things, touching genitals and sniffing (horrible!) and liking soft, comforting textures. She has had some changes at school, diff teacher for a week and now started going off into a nurture group in afternoons so perhaps this has triggered it.
  • EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Community member Posts: 118 Courageous
    Hello Blossom,
    It sounds like you are wanting to hear a confirmed diagnosis or otherwise. This is completely understandable but not something I can answer. It can be hard and frustrating waiting for different professionals to carry out assessments and feedback results. In the mean time, try to focus on small steps and 2-3 main priorities. Make sure all professionals involved are informed about her recent behaviours, as this is important information for those considering a diagnosis.
    Has your daughter been assessed by an occupational therapist?

Brightness