I have mild c.p. I have always had problems of catching my tongue, lips whilst eating and talking. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have mild c.p. I have always had problems of catching my tongue, lips whilst eating and talking.

Options
humand12
humand12 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited May 2016 in Cerebral palsy
I have mild c.p. I have always had problems of catching my tongue, lips whilst eating and talking. I visit the dentist regularly, no problem there. My mouth is sore, I think I need to visit the chemist. Does this happen to anyone else?

Comments

• Moonstone2008
    Moonstone2008 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I have mild CP left side. I do catch tongue etc even after having a tongue tie released. Never figured out how to stop it as it's random or when I am tired
  • humand12
    Options
    Thank you for your comment. I have mild c.p on left side also. I've never heard of tongue tie released. Catching tongue etc. does get worse when I'm tired also emotions. More rest, I think even when I don't want to stop!
  • liayn85
    liayn85 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Options
    Yes, I have mild CP on the right side of my body and I definitely have a problem with that on occasion. Also, I have trouble chewing on my right side and I find food in that side of my mouth long after eating at times. I have noticed that the more intensive the chewing, such as with bread or meat, the more likely I am to do it, and also the more tired/stressed I am, etc. I would ask your dentist to make sure you do not have gum disease or a misalignment that could cause problems. I have receding gums on my left side from the overuse.
  • humand12
    Options
    Hi liayn, Thank you for your comment. I found out I had mild c.p, January 2015 I am 61. My story is in Scope. So I'm catching up  with problem areas! I  did tell my dentist that I found chewing hard, he asked my why I found it difficult? This was two weeks ago. I said I did not know. On thinking more about it, c.p seemed a likely cause. So as I write now, I feel that I should go back to the dentist and seek his advise. So thank you for prompting me.
  • humand12
    Options
    Hi liayn, Thank you for your comment. Having recently found out about having c.p, I have worked out that others with this condition also have chewing problems, resulting in a sore mouth. I have made an appointment to see the dentist so he can check that I don't have a misalignment or gum disease. Its worth a mention, he might offer some help.
  • the_velvet_girl
    the_velvet_girl Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
    Options
    I catch my gum on the left side when I'm speaking if I'm tired. I have misaligned teeth but my dentist when I was a teenager stated there was no point in braces as my jaw muscles were so tight they would pull my teeth out of alignment when the braces were removed. I was referred to an orthodontic surgeon to see if my jaw could be broken and reset to give me a better bite but he advized against it as it was "a long recovery for a small problem." Ice Cream is good for soothing a sore mouth as is Bonjela. I try to avoid lengthy conversations and don't eat when I'm tired.
  • Squigg
    Squigg Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Options
    I was in anogy when i had my braces and (headgear) it did make it difficult to eat then i got use to it, since then i have managed to pull a muscle in my jaw and got it checked out and luckily it's nothing major... so now i have to learn not to open my mouth so wide open, which is easily done aa it does get all clicky. 

Brightness