I am currently designing a research project for my Open University Degree — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I am currently designing a research project for my Open University Degree

Comments

• Hedgehog
    Hedgehog Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi Kim, 

I am currently designing a research project for my Open University Degree - I won't have to carry out the research proposal but am designing it around gaining the voice of disabled children when designing services to meet their needs.  

I'd be really keen to hear any thoughts you have - 

I lice in Derbyshire and have factored in building an advisory body of local authority, health and social care ' experts' and commissioners as well as our local parent carer voice etc to discuss with them how the children  can be consulted - but my concern is non verbal and those with severe cognitive difficulties.

The module has been around issues in Research with children and whilst I can understand why it is important to have children's rights etc I do feel that the course is stretching this when they say children need to be involved from the design to dissemination of the research. This may be possible with well able  and literate children but there are some serious obstacles for some children.

I would really like your views  - unfortunatley I have come across you rather late - my assignment is due in by 28th May!!

Thank you for considering this .

Valerie 
  • Kim_AssistiveTech
    Kim_AssistiveTech Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
    Hi Valerie, 

That sounds fascinating and I would love to help in whatever way possible. You are quite right with regards to the barriers that some children with disabilities face in getting their opinion across because they may be non-verbal. 

Do you have any specific questions you would like me to answer to aid your research or just want a general overview of my opinion?

I could also ask some of our students who use communication aids their opinion, or get them to answer any specific questions you may have.

Look forward to hearing from you.
  • Hedgehog
    Hedgehog Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I really need just general advice - sorry not to have come back to you sooner - had my head in loads of research articles but so many seem to ignore non-verbal - or worse ignore disability and concentrate on the difficulties of working with very young children. I am passionate that we can access their voices - I just don't know the specific technologies and methods etc that the young people are using
  • Kim_AssistiveTech
    edited May 2016
    Hi Valerie, 

A really great place to start would be the Communication Matters website. There is a section there called 'What is AAC' which covers all types of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC).

It'll be a great place to start to get more information on what technology is out there for children with disabilities & there is also a section of case studies which may be helpful for your assignment. 

Hope this helps and let me know how you get on. 
  • Kim_AssistiveTech
    Morning Valerie, 

A really great place to start would be the Communication Matters website. There is a section there called 'What is AAC' which covers all types of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC).

It'll be a great place to start to get more information on what technology is out there for children with disabilities & here is a link to some case stories which may help in your research. 

I hope this helps, please get back in touch if I can do anything else. 
  • Kim_AssistiveTech
    Morning Valerie, 

It'll be a great place to start to get more information on what technology is out there. There is also a section of case stories which may be of help to your research. 

Let me know if I can help in any other way. 
  • Kim_AssistiveTech
    Morning Valerie, 

It'll be a great place to start to get more information on what technology is out there for children with disabilities & there is also a section of case studies which may be helpful for your assignment. 

Hope this helps and let me know how you get on. 

Brightness