What do you think of our new End the Awkward campaign? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What do you think of our new End the Awkward campaign?

Chris_Alumni
Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering

By now, you may have seen the latest incarnation of our End the Awkward campaign, which kicked off last Friday with the premiere of our TV advert during Channel 4’s ‘The Last Leg’. This advert is set to run on the nation’s TV screens for a fortnight, across Channel 4, ITV and Channel 5, and will be accompanied by a series of short films which will be published each week by popular Facebook page Unilad.

There will also be a series of tips and advice films and content on how to End the Awkward on our website, released over the coming six weeks.

The campaign uses humour to challenge the awkwardness that an estimated two thirds of Brits experience when encountering disability, suggesting that the best course of action is to H.I.D.E. That is:

Say Hi,
Introduce yourself,
Don’t panic, and,
End the awkward.

As a valued member of the Scope digital community, we’d be interested to know what you think of our latest campaign. Do you think that using humour in this way is an effective way of challenging awkwardness? Have you experienced much of this awkwardness first hand? Let us know what you think in the comments below.  And if you’d like to support the campaign, do share it via social media.

Comments

• mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    I am a little in two minds....  in some way... it seems a little awkward to watch.. But. I think it punches out a message that my community certainly needs to hear. And the humour and HIDE stuff helps.

• Footloose
    Footloose Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
    When I first saw it, I was also of two minds about it; however, it's the kind of issue/subject that has been needed to be addressed for ages; on seeing it the 2nd-3rd time, I think you're campaign advert, works. You've also chosen just the right time, following the success of the Paralympics on Ch4. Well done Scope, you have been 'ahead of the game' in many ways, ever since you brought out the Disability Now magazine. - Which I bought pretty-well from day one. I've still got and proudly use the mug I bought, with Crippen's artwork on it!    

Brightness