How do I claim carer's allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do I claim carer's allowance?

Options
fireman
fireman Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My wife has altziemas and gets poi    I have been told to claim carers allowance as I look after her 24 hrs a day 

any info please 

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi fireman

I work for the Benefits Training Co and we are helping Scope and the online community. 

In order to advise you further I need some more information, namely:

• By poi do you mean PIP (Personal Independence Payment) ? if so, which component(s) of PIP was your wife awarded? was it Daily Living or Mobility or both?
    • Do you work? and if so are your net earnings more than £110 a week?
    • If you are not working are you in receipt of any other benefits?
    Thanks

Paul
    The Benefits Training Co:

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Dear fireman,

As my colleague Paul has advised, you would first need to check a few things to make sure you're entitled to carer's allowance (CA).

Assuming PIP is the benefit your wife is getting, she would need to be on the daily living component of PIP (personal independence payment). It doesn't matter if she's on the standard or enhanced rate. 

If you work, your net earnings (after tax, national insurance & half of any pension contributions) must be no more than £110 a week. If you earn more than that, you can't get CA.

If you're not working, you also need to check that CA doesn't 'overlap' with benefits you are getting. For example, you can't get CA at the same time as retirement pension, although it may still be worth claiming it because it can make other benefits (income-based benefits like pension credit) higher.

You also can't get CA at the same time as contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance (you might decide to claim CA instead) or contributory Employment and Support Allowance.

There are some other complicated issues to consider if you also get a disability benefit such as PIP, DLA or AA, because of the way income-based benefits are worked out. 

You might want to ring the Scope helpline before you make a claim just to make sure it is the best option for you, on 0808 800 3333.

If you do meet the conditions and decide to go ahead then you can claim by getting a form from the Carer's Allowance Unit on 0345 608 4321 (text phone 0345 604 5312). Or you can use this link to fill in a form online, or print it out and fill it in if you prefer.

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.