Hi, my name is margery! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is margery!

margery
margery Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello, I am 62 and have claimed PIP, due to being awarded higher rate due to my disability, I have been called for an assessment and feel really anxious. Any advice how to overcome this and make who ever assesses me aware of how I feel and how much pain I am in. 
Thanks

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hello @margery,

It's natural to feel like this and lots of people feel anxious about being assessed particularly with all the negative stories in the media and on forums about bad quality assessments and decision making.

You can take someone with you to the assessment and this can be valuable support for you and if you take someone who knows you well and knows how your disability affects you, they can often help explain things on your behalf if things become too much for you. Are you planning to take anyone with you to the assessment?

You might find it helpful to read the PIP assessment guidance for assessors which explains the process and what the healthcare assessors should be taking into consideration during the assessment. If you're not satisfied with how the assessment is being conducted make notes of what has happened. You should be given the opportunity to explain in full how much pain you're in. 
    You have to be able to complete each activity applying the reliability criteria so if any of the activity descriptors cause pain, fatigue, breathlessness, you should be assessed as not being able to complete that activity and another descriptor should apply. You can point this out to the assessor too and ask them to note the pain you suffer not only while completing an activity but the pain you might suffer afterwards and the remedies you need to manage the pain.

Pain is a big thing and it does have to be taken into consideration. Check out the other discussions on the community about the PIP including this one which talks about the reliability criteria. I hope you find it helpful and you gain confidence from learning about other's experiences and what they've done to get through the process. You'll find lots of support on the community so please keep in touch and let us know how things work out for you.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • Helendoe
    Helendoe Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi Margery, I feel for you because I was the same. I was in such a anxious state by the time i got called in, I was sobbing. My Hubbie answered most of the questions until my medication started working. I had a very nice lady & weeks of nothing. So yes it is stressful, be honest & tell the truth. I had my letter this morning saying I have been awarded PIP until 2022. It feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Good luck & try not to get as anxious as I did.
    God Bless Helen
  • vickie
    vickie Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I think it helps if your partner is with you .to spk up..they can see you are stressed..my hubby didn't the same I was anxious. and he spoke  I got full on both . 
  • margery
    Thank you all for answering my "distress call", my daughter wrote everything down on paper for me, as my tablets make me forget stuff. I am taking my partner with me, between him and daughters they do everything for me that I can't do. 
    I got myself into such a state my angina is awful.
    i will write and let you all know how it goes and the outcome. 
    Thank you all again.

• pip
    pip Community member Posts: 72 Courageous
    Margery, I found a local community centre with a welfare advice team, they had experience with benefits and filled the form in with me and sent it off. Glad your daughter has written things down for you.
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    margery, i went from DLA to pip, i filled the forms in, in march, i was awarded the high for both, i started getting my first PIP payment at the end of sep, its a long time to wait,but they still pay DLA while you wait,look i just told the truth and i was fine, i no its scaree but try not to get to stressed, being stressed wont help your health,  good luck.
  • margery
    Thank you, it's 2:30 on Monday so will be pleased when it's over I can only tell them what is happening and how this condition effects my health and my everyday life. 
  • margery
    The assessment is over, so just have to wait a few weeks for their decision . It took 1hour 20minutes, there was a lot of questions asked and I am sure I forgot to tell them lots of things, but I can't change it now. Thank you all for your replies, it made a big difference when I went in there. 

• pip
    pip Community member Posts: 72 Courageous
    that's quite a long assessment, good your partner came with you.
  • margery
    Hi Pip, it felt a lot longer, but I suppose everyone is different, she was a qualified nurse (she told me), she had a trainee with her, but she came across as kind and I got upset and asked if I would like to continue. She appreciated I couldn't do any of the physical parts.
    so it's just waiting for an answer.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hello @margery,

It's been really lovely to read through this thread and see @Helendoe, @vickie, @pip and @nanof6 sharing their advice with you and inspiring you with the confidence you needed to get through your PIP assessment. It's really comforting to know that it made a difference and I'm sure the others feel the same.

It sounds as though the assessment was pretty thorough and although you feel you may have missed things out, don't worry too much about it right now. You've got the most daunting part out of the way now and you should rest up for a little bit. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for the decision and please let us know how things progress.

Thank you all for sharing and supporting each other, it's what makes this community so brilliant!

Best wishes
    Debbie

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.