The United Nations Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities: have your say! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The United Nations Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities: have your say!

Hi Everyone,

I'm Graham and I work for Scope, helping to create good relations with disabled people's organisations.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in some events that Disability Rights UK (DRUK) and Disability Wales are holding about the UN Convention on the Rights of Disabled People (often abbreviated to UNCRPD)? Some of you may know that in 2017 the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities will conduct its first examination of the UK, looking at the steps it has taken to implement the UNCRPD. The Committee, the majority of whom are disabled people, is a body of experts, nominated and elected by governments. 

DRUK are holding series of events around England (and Disability Wales is holding events in Wales), and are really keen to enable people with a wide range of experiences of disability/health conditions to feed into this – so the Committee really hears on the critical issues from diverse disabled people. 

The events are free and take place around England in September, starting on 14 September in Birmingham and ending on 5 October in London (and taking in cities including Manchester, Southampton and more. See http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/sites/default/files/word/UNCRPD%20Flier.pdf for the details. 

Comments

• loulou123
    loulou123 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I will if it's next year, as I am a walking living proof of what happens if they provide the care and assistance they are duty bound by. 
    Im in a very bad state of health as my GP failed to refer me to the hospital for treatment.
    i have CFS/ME and fibromyalgia , with a working diagnosis of excessive day time sleepiness and severe anemia. 
    I am also a mum.
    ive lost 4 vital years with my daughter just because adult services said that my care needs are based around looking after your daughter so we will refer you to Childrens services 
    they did that.y health got worse. Lost all my hair along with the meds for staying awake during the day were not effective at all and my need to sleep all the time is very difficult to live with along with the effects of being severely anaemic , such as chest pains , swollen legs and feet, diZyness sickness , very bad memory and thought process, unable to concentrate or process any information.
    but as I have not " ENGAGED IN THE PROCESS"

i am now facing being taken to court by Childrens services and having her removed from my care. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Fundamentalist
    Fundamentalist Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
    Hi from Fm. I hope that this up coming event will include dealing with the much more serious disabilities that I have which are far too often totally ignored in this country. I have deadly serious life-destroying misophonia and severe heat intolerance which makes me far too hot and misophonia is far worse than simply disabling, it is absolute torture and causes me to be absolutely tortured out of my skull by all manner of totally unavoidable everyday noises especially those made by people and dogs and while all manner of measures are being taken to alleviate the problems of the more well known disabilities in my case it's all going the other way, i.e. just about everything that can be done is being done to make things far worse and make far more places and services more inaccessible to folk like me which is totally unacceptable. And it's the same with severe heat intolerance, more and more public buildings and other structures are now being fitted with all clear glass or plastic roofing which lets in baking hot sun in the warmer times and that causes absolute torture too and by the looks of it no-one cares, they just assume that "everyone" likes it which absolutely infuriates me as it's totally ignoring folk like me. What are folk like me supposed to do, DIE!? Fm.

Brightness