Son is struggling - School are asking EP to come back in — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Son is struggling - School are asking EP to come back in

Options
tracysw
tracysw Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2016 in Education
hi.  my 13 yr old son already has a diagnosis of severe dyslexia, processing difficulty and dyscalculia.  he hates school and really struggles.  i have been informed today that the school are asking the EP to come back in as they are concerned about him not engaging & managing and are wanting to see if there are any 'underlying issues' they need to be addressing.  im so worried now, what are they thinking?
my son already hates having labels and is so down on himself i feel this will be worse for him - ive asked if the school are thinking of anything specific but they've said not!?
please advise

thanks,

Tracy

Comments

• bam
    bam Community member Posts: 326 Pioneering
    Options
    Don't we all hate labels?
  • tracysw
    tracysw Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    i wouldnt mind but the school havent put in place what they should from before and now wanting more assessments!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ajk110
    Ajk110 Community member Posts: 47 Courageous
    Options

This must be a distressing time for your son: a lot of children don't want to be labelled and who can blame them? One thing you can do is emphasise to your son that assessments are just to make sure that he gets the help he needs, but that what makes him the person he is are other more important things, like the way he treats others, the things he likes doing etc: encourage him to see that his disability doesn't define him. The second thing is to put a positive spin on any label he's been given: can you find some famous/successful people with dyslexia?

• eevans
    eevans Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Options
    I think maybe you could look at this from a different angle to try an ease your concerns.
    when an Ed Psych assesses a student they should also offer you, your son and the school strategies for managing the things he finds difficult.
    i would see it as an opportunity to access support that might make a real difference.
    if you mention your concerns when you meet the ed psych about school not putting the strategies in place then they can help with that too - maybe school staff need additional training??

Brightness