Dreading reapplying for PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dreading reapplying for PIP

debs60
debs60 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2016 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have had renal cancer the cancer had spread into fat, I went on a drug trial as chemo and radio does not work on renal cancer, since I took the drug I have excelerated joint pain arthritis in my knees.back.hips.fingers.wrists etc pip was gave to me then taken away I appealed and lost the cab helped me win it back by going to court ..it is up for renewal in January I am dreading reaplying, I am on  severe disability ESA and don't understand the struggle to get pip the system is very unfair 

Comments

• CharlotteN27
    CharlotteN27 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    hi I have just been asked to apply for pip as my condition was getting worse. i have to prove that i can't see (a guide dog is not proof these days) but all my medical evidence was stolen. (it was in a bag I dropped the bag someone walked off with it as i tried to find it) blind problems!
    good luck 
    I sympathise as I find PIP is scary

• abstractLucas
    abstractLucas Community member Posts: 76 Connected
    I think it's a really tough thing to have to go through but it's great to hear that you fought a refusal before and won, with the help of the CAB. Might it be worth talking to them before the reassessment to remind yourself of the important things you need to say?  The system is very unfair - but unfortunately there's no other way to get the help you need at the moment.  I would suggest you get all your doctors letters and things ready beforehand so you don't struggle to find them closer to the time, and maybe keep track of the medicines and things you take and pain you have in a diary that you can show them - then you have many weeks worth of evidence by the time of your renewal in January. 
    Good luck
    Lucas

• debs60
    debs60 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks lucas and as for charlotteN27 how can a guide dog not be proof your blind for goodness sake, I know people with far less, walk away with highest rate pip it does not make sense..fight them xx
  • CharlotteN27
    CharlotteN27 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    debs60 said:
    Thanks lucas and as for charlotteN27 how can a guide dog not be proof your blind for goodness sake, I know people with far less, walk away with highest rate pip it does not make sense..fight them xx
    guide dog dose not count as medical equipment / mobility aid on their list
    (the equality act says other wise but who ever listens to that) 

• pip
    pip Community member Posts: 72 Courageous
    I had a reassessment for pip recently, I took the forms to an welfare advice place and the person there filled in the form and sent it off, yet to hear about it. she filled it in with me the first time. She was such a help. hope your cancer treatment goes well.  
  • TriciaB
    TriciaB Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Can someone tell me for when i get my forms as i will need help filling them in. I live in woodlands in a bungalow have server walking probs but atm i have my mobility car so i could go to them for help with forms. 
  • pip
    Triciab I found a centre which had a welfare advice team and the staff were very good and experienced. I went there and they filled them in with me. it was free. 
  • TriciaB
    Hi pip are u in doncaster area? Im new here. Can u tell me where i may find welfare place pls
  • pip
    I'm in Grimsby, there's a place called centre 4 there, I'm so sorry I don't know about your area. 
  • pip
    edited October 2016
    Tricia I see looking online there's a place called dial Doncaster who help disabled people with benefits, maybe the CAB can help, my centre was good in that there's a small team who are well experienced with forms etc 
  • TriciaB
    Hi pip thanks i no theres a dial shop at the bottom of my road in woodlands i may pop in and see if they can help if not they may be able to advise me on where to go. Its just i need a car park really close to a center because of walking probs. 
  • pip
    edited October 2016
    oh I hope they can help or suggest somewhere that can and with a car park.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hello all,

I just wanted to clear up the issue with guide dogs and hope you find the following helpful. 

The PIP handbook (page 11) states
    Assistance dogs
    We recognise that guide, hearing and dual sensory dogs are not ‘aids’ but have attempted to ensure that the descriptors capture the additional barriers and costs of needing such a dog where they are required to enable claimants to follow a route safely. Activity 11 therefore explicitly refers to the use of an ‘assistance dog’. Assistance dogs are defined as dogs trained to help people with sensory impairments.

You can also see the Mobility Activity descriptors 11d and 11f include the use of an assistance dog.
    Mobility activities
    11. Planning and following journeys.
    11 a. Can plan and follow the route of a journey unaided. 0 points
    11 b. Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 4 points
    11 c. Cannot plan the route of a journey. 8 points
    11 d. Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid. 10 points
    11 e. Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 10 points
    11 f. Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid. 12 point

So although guide dogs aren't considered 'aids' , if you have one it's likely that you will score either 10 or 12 points.

I hope this has helped provide some clarity.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • pip
    edited October 2016
    I have an appointment letter today for PIP review, its in hull, I doubt I can make the travel over from Grimsby, my mental illness affects me going out and getting to appointments and back. I'm quite worried and haven't been well lately.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Hi @pip

When is the appointment scheduled for?

Contact the health care provider and inform them that you cannot travel to the appointment. You can request a home assessment but you will need evidence to support your request. This can be from your GP, Social Worker, or another health care professional involved in your care.

If you have difficulties getting a home visit, let me know.

Debbie

• pip
    hello Debbie the appointment letter said mon 31 oct.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Definitely call them and let them know you can't attend for medical reasons and they will advise you what they need you to do and what evidence is required to support your need for a home assessment.

When you had your first PIP assessment was this carried out at home or did you attend an assessment centre? 
  • jena7
    jena7 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I think it's a really tough thing to have to go through but it's great to hear that you fought a refusal before and won, with the help of the CAB. Might it be worth talking to them before the reassessment to remind yourself of the important things you need to say?  The system is very unfair - but unfortunately there's no other way to get the help you need at the moment.  I would suggest you get all your doctors letters and things ready beforehand so you don't struggle to find them closer to the time, and maybe keep track of the medicines and things you take and pain you have in a diary that you can show them - then you have many weeks worth of evidence by the time of your renewal in January. 
    Good luck
    Lucas

• pip
    Debbie, the welfare advice person filled the PIP form with me at their centre, and sent it off.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    @pip did the welfare adviser ask you about any difficulties you would have in attending an assessment? 

I hope you're able to sort things out with the assessment, let me know if you have any difficulties with it.

Have a good day :smile:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.