2 year old struggling with new splint — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

2 year old struggling with new splint

Healey
Healey Community member Posts: 5 Listener

Hi,

My son has CP and has just been fitted with a splint which he is suppose to wear throughout the day. However as he cant sit very comfortably he tends to kneel up when playing and he cant seem to kneel in the splint as his ankle is fixed at 90 degrees. So currently he wears it when practicing walking (only walking holding furniture or a walker) but when he gets tired of walking it comes off again.

Any advice? Will he eventually just get used to wearing the splint?

Thanks

Comments

• Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Hi @Healey my little girl doesn't need splints yet (but we are going for an assessment again soon) she has gaiters which are a bit similar.  

It took her a few weeks to get used to them (she was 2 when she was given them) she just started with a few minutes at a time and then built up.  You could try soft, seam free long socks underneath? (I put her in tights but may not work with a boy!) 

Have you managed to find shoes that fit ok? 

@Noah knows a lot about AFOs and may be able to advise better 

• niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    edited October 2016
    Hi I've worn splints for most of my life - since a toddler I'm now 30.... It can take time to get used to wearing splints, the best thing to do is gradually build up the wearing time. playing while wearing it will help, as for kneeling in it (it's really hard to do as you've mentioned!) but one thing you could try is getting your son to kneel on a cushion-a trick I use when doing my half kneeling stretches, or one of those kneeling pads that people use when gardening. Like blue frog mentioned seem free socks are good, especially if you can get some slightly thicker ones as it cuts down on the strange sensory feedback you can get when first getting used to splints. Importantly though, don't push too much to soon about the length time he wears it to begin with - anything is better than nothing, and if he is having what I call 'a bad cp day' it makes wearing splints and things like that harder as your muscles fight being stretched and positioned, I really fight my gaiters when having one of those days (ironically when I need the stretch most!) Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • Healey
    Hi. Thanks for the advice really appreciated. Will definitely try the socks and the pad for kneeling on.  

Not tried to find shoes yet as the splint has a sole and as he is not walking yet he doesn't really need shoes.  It's going to be tricky. Looks like I am going to have to get two pairs as they will be a different size for each foot as only has one splint. 

He also has gaiters but only wears them for a few hours when he is asleep. Not sure if he is suppose to wear them at other times but have a Physio appointment soon so should sort that then. 

I find things make perfect sense when at appointments and then things don't work out as expected when we get home. 

Thanks again for the advice. 
  • niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    I'm with you with things making sense at appointments, then not working out at home! I have to get physios to write everything down otherwise it's completely gone when I get round to doing the exercises! (Luckily I work in healthcare, so I can decode their writing!) 
    when it comes to needing shoes to go with the splint, maybe talk to the physio or orthotics department as they may be able to help you with footwear. 
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Haha @niceboots it's not just me then! I take loads of photos of them  demonstrating things like putting her in the standing frame or in her sling.  When you are at home, with a million other things to do and worry about, having something to refer to really helps 
  • islander
    islander Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I wear them make sure excersise with them on
  • Healey
    So glad it's not just me. I like the pictures that come with the excersises sheet. Just don't always get them unfortunately. Taking photos is a really good idea. 

Brightness