Bye bye car — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bye bye car

mike99
mike99 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
I got my notice to hand back my beautiful car.. I have a mandatory reconsideration going through at the moment.. The lady helping me write it out..up to now.. has a 100% win record so I have my fingers crossed...  My hand back date is 13th December.  Every day i check my post... With no car I am housebound.. No more clinics.. hospital appointments.. eye / foot appointments.. Doctors appointments etc etc.. all too far away and as I am on food bank and selling house hold items and personal possessions just to pay the bills like many others to be awarded P.I.P.s with some extra money is a godsend I can only hope for right now...  O dont mind selling all my possessions off because when they come and take my house off me I wont have much to take with me to were ever they put me..

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    It is criminal the way the government is treating disabled people.  All they want to do is to cut the benefits bill no matter how much suffering they cause.

There are alternative ways of having a car so that if higher rate mobility is removed at least people don't lose their car.  A Vauxhall dealer near me gives five years' interest-free credit to buy a new car.
  • mike99
    edited December 2016
    Sorry cant get credit... so cant buy a car Matilda..   
  • bam
    bam Community member Posts: 326 Pioneering
    I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I know how difficult it is. We're all disabled on here. I just had to replace a water pump and it was expensive. I had to borrow money from my relatives just to get it done. If I don't have my car I'm home bound to you. I was lucky this time I don't know what I'm going to do next time. It's really difficult being disabled and not being able to work to support yourself. Good luck to you I really hope you somehow work this out. I think if you try to talk enough people maybe you can find a deal
  • mike99
    Thank you... its so frustrating and really makes me angry.  Disabled people are like 3rd class citizens in this country.. sorry just so angry. 
  • bam
    I live in America and get just enough money to at least survive on but it's true that we are treated less than an average citizen. We can't work. Why should we be punished because of that? Like I said before I know what it's like not to have a car. I'm so afraid my car is going to break down. I need new tires. It's really difficult for us and I'm sorry you're having this problem. To make it easier on you, you should talk more to us about it. get this thing out of your head. When I have a problem it gets in my head and bounces around in there for weeks. give us your rant and maybe it'll make you feel better. I feel for you and I'll listen to you
  • mike99
    edited December 2016
    No sorry Bam.. In the UK we got / get new cars too.. compared to the USA we are getting things easier..but the disabled ate seen as liabilities..  I was a strong guy.. could load wagons by hand.. worked door security.. body guard then whilst on my last job..investigating someone priorvto obtaining and serving a warrant i had a bad accident.. I guess its a pride thing.. one day Im someone then the next Im a nobody. I apologise for ranting. But the immigrant thing set me off.. unfair balance of benefit system.. To be honest.. being disabled is probably a big plus because we learn to adapt and carry on..its the able bodied who are at a disadvantage... we are the stronger... sudde8feel proud of all of us... HUGS TO US ALL..!!!
  • bam
    Don't feel like you need to apologize for having a good rant. I was the same way before I got sick. I had a pretty good life. I was active. Now I really can't go out much and forget about dating. There's no money for people on disability for dates. Who wants to date some disabled sick guy anyway? Like I said I'm really sorry about this problem. I'm sure you don't want to hear that anymore but I don't know what else to say, things are okay? For us things will never be ok again.
  • madmags66
    madmags66 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    DWP dragged out my reconsideration as well.  Motorbility gave me an extra week with my car because I couldn't afford a taxi to get me home from dropping the car at the garage.  I needed to wait for my pension to be paid.  I emailed my MP about the long wait (2 months) and she emailed them.  They phoned me a couple of days later and asked when my car was going back.  They said they would have an answer by then.  Unfortunately it was the same standard rate so have lost the car and am housebound.  I will appeal but I'm losing all hope.  Need help with appeal but can't travel to doctors or any help centres.  So very sick of this life.
  • Matilda
    it seems that assessors, unless the claimant can't walk at all, state that he or she can walk more than 20 metres - without having watched them walk OUTDOORS as they should, so very few are awarded enhanced rate mobility at first.  However, many claimants do win enhanced rate at tribunal.  So it's worth appealing despite the hassle.

It is cruel how the DWP are taking so many people's cars away and leaving them housebound.
  • mike99
    Been about 5 weeks since i sent in my mandatory reconsideration... i rang them the other day and was told it had gone to a case manager and should hear from them soon.. Up to now the car goes back 13th December... i too am worried as i will be housebound.. even worse at Christmas as i will be in alone with no meal... Should have been going to family for the meal... maybe someone from the family can come over for me but dont like asking.. everyone wants to settle in for the day then i have to come back... then... go through it all again for New Years.... It is stress we can all do without.. As Madmags66 says.. its getting to doctors appointment too... I had a lifetime award but P.I.P.s dismiss  it as if im fine now... so why was i awarded the life time award.... ???? Certainly as we get older we get worse not better..!!.. Some one froze to death slleping on the streets this week.. some pensioner is going to die this winter due to no heating or nourishment.. some poor disabled person may check out due to stress this year because of P.I.P.s.... But instead of addressing these issues the government would rather spend money abroad looking after someone other than the tax payer whose money is paying for foreign aid...  This country is run by idiots who have publuc school education.. come from wealthy families... defraud the treasury claiming for more than 1 mortgage.. put their entire family on the government payroll... claim expenses just for turning up and doing the job we stupidly voted them in for.. THEN THEY CUT OUR BENEFITS THAT ARE ALREADY INSUFFICIENT ENOUGH TO SUSTAIN US...!!!!!!!!!!!!   

JAZUS IM ANGRY.. I COULD RAM MY WALKING STICK WERE THE SUN DOESN'T SHINE AND HIT THEM OVER THE HEAD WITH A BED PAN.....!!!!!!!!!
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi all,

I understand that dealing with benefits and government cuts is very emotional and can be extremely frustrating, I also appreciate hearing different points of view, but I need to take the time to say that on this community we welcome all disabled people and their parents or carers regardless of their background. 

Can I remind everyone of our Community Guidelines, we want the community to be a safe and supportive place. Please make sure your messages respect other users’ views and suggestions, even if you don’t agree with them and take care to present your views tactfully.

I will be removing a couple of posts on here that do not follow our guidelines and could be deemed offensive.  We welcome debate but please do be respectful of all our members.

Thanks,

Sam
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    @mike99 I can see how frustrating it is for you, I am sorry you are having such a stressful time.  

Regarding christmas, I totally understand where you are coming from about not wanting to ask family, it's really tough isnt it?  But I always try and think how I would respond if my family member or friend asked for my support, I would feel pleased they asked and would feel good for being there for them.  

It is hard sometimes to let people in, but we all need friends and family support from time to time, so I hope you can reach out to them.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    I'd suggest that people who do get enhanced mobility now buy a car rather than lease one from Motability, if they can afford it.  Motability prefer people to lease but, given the way that DWP virtually automatically reduce people's entitlement to standard, it would make more sense now for them to buy.  Eventually, the car will be theirs and, if their benefit is downgraded after that, at least they won't lose their car.  People will have to pay for their own insurance, servicing and repairs (and MOT where applicable)  

Motability no longer advertise their purchase scheme, new or second-hand, but I believe that it is still available if people ask for it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Matilda
    Yes, @mumof3boys, doctors should do the assessments.  My assessor was a paramedic, if you please.  I assumed that assessors would at least have nursing qualifications.  She asked me to describe the symptoms of my medical conditions; it was obvious from her blank stare that she had no idea if I was describing typical symptoms or not!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.