Can't buy an apartment because of lack of storage for my power chair. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can't buy an apartment because of lack of storage for my power chair.

Options
Malcolm
Malcolm Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Firstport who control the apartment block where my wife and I want to buy an apartment in a block of 40 apartments supply a shelter for chairs and scooters big enough for four appliances.  This shelter is full and I have been told that there is no more storage available.  If we were to live there we both need our power chairs to get to places in Market Harborough as we are both disabled so are we being discriminated against by Firstport because we want to buy this apartment and are prevented from doing so by their unfair restrictions.  We would be prepared to pay for the erection of a storage facility for the power chairs.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @Foy do you have any information or support for @Malcolm ?

There is also a lot of information about Independent Living and Housing that could be interesting reading for you Malcolm.

Best of luck

Sam
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Foy
    Foy Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Good morning Malcolm,  this isn't something that I have actually come across before.  As Sam mentions First port will have certain obligations regarding the provision of secure space to store chairs and scooters. If you haven't done this already, I would suggest speaking directly to the site manager (or equivalent position) who is responsible for the building, and discuss your situation with him/her.  That way hopefully you can come up with a solution, there may be somewhere else in the building that you can store your power chairs until space frees up.  
      I am sorry I don't have anything specific to suggest, best of luck with it.
    Danny Foy
    foys property search
  • Sam_Alumni
    Options
    Thanks @Foy for that.

@Malcolm who have you tried speaking to so far?
    Scope
  • Malcolm
    Options
    I have spoken to the lady manager who in turn discussed with customer services at First Port who said they could not provide accommodation for 2 more vehicles.  I went to the CAB and they did not think that it amounted to discrimination.
  • Sam_Alumni
    edited December 2016
    Options
    That's really tough @Malcolm

Could you ask them if there is any other way around it? Like @foy said, is there somewhere else in the building that you can store your power chairs until space frees up? 

Scope
  • Rainbow_wheelz16
    Rainbow_wheelz16 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Options
    Hi there. is there any possibility you could change the powerchairs you have to something that is easier to store, such as a foldable scooter, or the alber efix wheels. I have these myself and they convert a manual wheelchair to powered. You might be able to purchase some second hand from eBay. Either way, you would probably then have enough room to keep them in your apartment.
  • Malcolm
    Options
    Thanks for that.  I was surprised at how expensive they are  though, but will give them some thought however.  We are going back to have another look tomorrow.

Brightness