Shopping bags taking priority over wheelchairs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Shopping bags taking priority over wheelchairs

Options
Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
Just reading about Paige Bartram's experience on a Cross Country train from Leeds station, Paige has Cerebral Palsy and uses a wheelchair, she says she was denied access to the train as there was no room for her wheelchair.

She then found out that the accessible space reserved for wheelchairs was filled with shopping bags and not surprisingly was very angry about this. 

What is your experience of accessibility on public transport? Have you ever face similar problems to Paige? 
Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• Jack_W
    Jack_W Scope Member Posts: 19 Courageous
    Options
    Speaking as someone who isn't in a wheelchair, public transport can pose its own difficulties for people on the autistic spectrum. Whether it's overcrowding, sitting next to strangers or navigating large terminal stations (like those in London). I'm able to endure some of those factors by myself now, but it does take a lot of strength to not lose control or panic when things start going wrong.

I won't get started with the underground, but suffice to say, it doesn't get much better for those with invisible conditions.
  • Malcolm
    Malcolm Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    My experience with train travel couldn't be more different.  As soon as the train arrives the ramps are put into position and in I go.  If there is baggage in the wheelchair space it is soon found another home.  I have nothing but praise for the rail staff. Often I am put into first class on a standard ticket.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Options
    That is brilliant to hear @Malcolm
    Scope
  • Sam_Alumni
    Options
    @Jack_W I have just been talking to my friend who has autism and she was saying a very similar thing.  
    Scope
  • 3_SAMagnify1
    3_SAMagnify1 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Options
    I use walking frame that can also be used as a seat and in the the past i have used the local buses and found the disabled space is taken by a buggie. and also sometime the bus doesn't always  pull up to the curb in one case the bus  dropped passenger in the middle of the road, have before my walking  frame also found that they don't stop to let me get to a seat. Now I don't used buses. I've also founf on  community transport  the drivers don't secure the frame  down properly  I get with one of my carers/ Ah much better.  I've never used the railways.
  • 3_SAMagnify1
    3_SAMagnify1 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Options
    I also have friend who lives in London who is a wheelchair user. A couple of month ago she had horrendous journey home from work  she was left on bus for an hour. it something was something about  ramp ramp i think.

Brightness