Mum to be with physical impairments, looking for advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mum to be with physical impairments, looking for advice

teapotsandtiaras
teapotsandtiaras Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone I am a new mum to be with my baby due in 5 months.
I had a stroke 10 years ago which left me with a paralysed left side, I can walk (with a splint) but have balance problems. I also have some vision problems as a result of the stroke and can only use one arm which inst particularly strong.
I am terrified that I will struggle to look after my baby when he arrives after my husband returns to work as my family are not willing to help out.
AS I only have one arm I am worried about picking the baby up, changing nappies and bathing,
Has anyone been in a similar situations  to me who can offer any advice please.

I have found the midwives and doctors to be of no help they just say, '"you will adapt"

Comments

• jeanarussell
    jeanarussell Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi teapotsandtiaras, I am not in the same position as you but I have been a new mum (some years ago now!) I lived away from family and moved to a new area when pregnant. I am no medical expert but have had to deal with different issues when pregnant and with my children.
    I appreciate that services may have changed but I would hope that the midwife/ health visitor you see would be supportive and offer guidance to help you in your situation. At least introduce you to what support there is and from where within your region.
    I would also lookout for any ante natal support groups to attend, NHS and NCT (National Childbirth Trust) in your area. Other new mums can be very supportive and hopefully you will make friends for you and your baby.
    Do you get any support from Occupational Therapy because of your stroke? They could have some suggestions of coping mechanisims for you.
    Continue to ask for help from G.P. read what you can about being a new mum and meet other mums to be.
    Hope this is helpful. Take care. J
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @teapotsandtiaras

Welcome to the community!

Already some great advice from @jeanarussell here.  There are some great resources in the Parenthood part of the website that might be of help to you.

Do take a look around the community and jump in on discussions, we are a friendly bunch! I look forward to chatting with you soon.

Sam
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • marye
    marye Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    I have cp down my right side but I had 2 babies in my 30s. I managed to look after them and did not drop them! I looked clumsy to other people but my babies only knew me the way I was and got used to my clumsiness! They are grown up with their children now but they tell me lots that I was a good mother. You will be a great mum even though you're disabled. Hope this helps. 
  • Rainbow_wheelz16
    Rainbow_wheelz16 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    The charity remap can help with equipment. I have seen something that they made to help a mother pick up her baby. They do equipment free of charge. Might be worth a look.
  • teapotsandtiaras
    teapotsandtiaras Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for your positive advice i feel much better about things now! 
     When I have spoken to my consultant on midwives they just tell me that there is not much help out there and I'm just going to have to get on with it and find a way to manage! X

Brightness