Problems applying for blue badge — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Problems applying for blue badge

Options
roger41
roger41 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have Parkinson and have difficulty walking any distance. I live in Torquay and have been trying to apply for a Blue Badge with some difficuty, any idea's on how to do this.I just did not understand the questions asked about browsing files.

Comments

• Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Roger, welcome to the community. Are you applying online via the government website? I can't say for sure, but it's possible that you are being asked to upload an image of yourself for the application (probably a .jpg file). I'm sure one of our community members may be able to shed further light on this.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I suggest you phone up your local authority customer services and ask them how to apply.  Although it's supposed to be possible to apply online, in practice my local authority required people to apply in person with the necessary documentation.
  • chasnbons
    chasnbons Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
    Options
    As @Matilda says ring your local Council there should be an option for Blue Badges when you get through.  When I applied for mine I hadn't been granted PIP therefore I didn't automatically qualify for one, so my only way forward at that time was to go direct to my local Council.  I was assessed by a very nice lady (nothing like the Atos/Capita/Maxima people) and was granted one straight away.  Hope this helps.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree with @chasnbons that local councils are much more sympathetic toward disabled people than the likes of Atos etc.  The lady who dealt with my application was very kind.

I don't know your age, but if you are over the age limit for DLA/PIP then you can still get a Blue Badge.  When a man over the age limit I know applied, they came to his house and watched how he walked up and down the stairs but the assessment was quite short.

Brightness