is enough being done to put the equality act 2010 - disability discrimination into practice? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

is enough being done to put the equality act 2010 - disability discrimination into practice?

Options
Lori64
Lori64 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
My youngest daughter aged 25 was recently diagnosed with dyslexia, visual stress syndrome and dyscalculia. It was quite a shock and thinking about all those parent teacher meeting comments - easily distracted, lack concentration now make sense - but I feel guilty I didn't pick up on it earlier. My youngest son has cognitive learning disabilities, speech and language problems and my husband has arthritis and is now virtually housebound. Coming into the world of disabilities late in life I am astounded at some so called professional peoples insensitive comments and actions toward people/children with disabilities.I would expect better recognition of educational inclusion in mainstream schools, more informed social workers and health professionals. We are living in the 21st century and people attitudes still haven't significantly changed for disabled people. Does the law really offer protection and a chance of a better life?

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I myself have been shocked at the lack of disability awareness by those who ought to know better - doctors, nurses, physiotherapists, phlebotomists, HR professionals, hotel staff, university teachers.  The majority of people still seem to think that only people who use wheelchairs are disabled.  

The Disability Discrimination Acts of course do allow for those discriminated to take the discriminators to court - but that can be a very time-consuming and stressful process.  Organisations need to give their staff disability awareness training (not least hospitals!) but very few appear to do so.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Fundamentalist
    Fundamentalist Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
    Options
    Hi, Fm here. I've just joined and I'm severely disabled in a whole multitude of ways and I have the most dreadful, awful and wretched existence because of it and I couldn't agree more that FAR too many so-called "professionals" have little or no awareness whatsoever that folk like me even EXIST! And that absolutely infuriates me as it seems to be the case that far too many service providers and authorities and the media think that disability is strictly all "white sticks and wheelchairs" and that anyone else can get lost and that attitude absolutely stinks! Even psychiatrists that I've met as well as police and public transport staff and council officials etc. have no idea that folk like me even exist and it's therefore obvious that their training regimes are hopelessly inadequate to say the least. I couldn't agree more that while it might well be the 21st century for the normal crowd it's more like the stone age for some of us and that is absolutely appalling! I hope that some folk in authority and service provision and the media, especially TV get to read this and my future posts at some stage as there is a lot they need to know. I'm absolutely sick and tired of seeing so-called "disabled" folk being paraded on TV like some kind of "heroes" while folk like me are totally ignored, despite me writing to them at least a hundred times! Excuse me! I can't go to somewhere like Rio as it's FAR too HOT for one thing and I couldn't go on a plane with no segregation from all the dreadful rowdiness and I certainly can't go and stay in a rowdy hotel either or go to a rowdy stadium. I suppose you're wondering what kind of problems I have if it's that bad, well that will come out gradually as I post more about myself, so watch this space. Fm.

Brightness