Experiences of disabled facilities grant — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Experiences of disabled facilities grant

Options
Freda
Freda Community member Posts: 3 Courageous
I have CP and things are getting harder now I'm in my late 40's.

Interested to hear other people's experiences of disabled facilities grant.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Freda

Take a look around the discussions and jump in, there are some wonderful members here for you to connect with.

Sam
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • WaterLily
    WaterLily Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    Options
    I am female, late 50's and have Spina Bifida.
     I have experience of a disabled facilities grant, but it's not a positive one, I'm afraid. 
    I was assessed for a walk-in shower, with non-slip flooring. I had the OT, SS and the very man who was going to carry out the work,around the house,measuring and showing us flooring samples. This took months from my applying, to this point. 
    At the time, my husband had a part time job and was in receipt of WTC.,the passport we needed for the grant. 
    Then, I remember it was just before Christmas, my husband lost his job and, of course, WTC. 
    It didn't take long before the DWP noticed and halted the disabled facilities grant, even though we explained to them we had much less money coming in, it made no difference. 
    I now have a walk-in shower and non-slip flooring, payed for by us. 
    And very nice it is,too!

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Freda we have an information section on Disabled Facilities grants you might want to have a look at.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.