Would I qualify for a motability scooter? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would I qualify for a motability scooter?

Rockape
Rockape Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I worked for 37 years till I took ill with Autonomic Dysfunction and because I can't work I get £103 pw. 
I need to progress from a wheelchair and considering a Motobility Scooter or Motavility Car/SUV. Would I qualify for any of this at all?

Rockape

Comments

• piglet70
    piglet70 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi Rocktape, I don't think they do a mobility scooter scheme, but if you get the highest rate of pip or dla you should be able to get a mobility car. Good luck. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rockape, as @piglet70 says, if you get higher rate DLA or PIP you qualify to use the Motability scheme.  If you are not in receipt of either, it sounds as if you would be eligible so look into applying for PIP.

As far as I know, the Motability scheme covers cars, scooters and motorised wheelchairs.
  • WaterLily
    WaterLily Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    I have been with the motability scheme for 15 years. When you hand your car back to them after three years, you can get a 'good condition' bonus of £250. 
    With this money, I decided to get myself a mobility scooter,second hand, from eBay. It's not a 'top of the range' one, but it Is in great condition, hardly used and it does the job. 
    And it will come in more handy now that I have to return my motability car!

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    The DWP appear to be refusing enhanced rate mobility to virtually all claimants on principle, regardless of the evidence, to cut the benefits bill.  But, of course, two-thirds of those who appeal do win enhanced rate mobility.
  • WaterLily
    WaterLily Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    Yes, I've heard that. 
    I have sent off my Mandatory Reconsideration and am waiting to hear back. 
    I scored 10 for mobility. I was also awarded standard rate care,which I have never had nor was I expecting. 
    I would have rather just been given enhanced rate mobility in order for me to keep the car. As it turns out now, my award has increased and my husband can now apply for carers allowance. 
    It was never about the money,for me. I just wanted to stay with motability, they are a fantastic organisation. 
    If all goes well for me and I am given 2 extra points, then I wouldn't hesitate returning to motability as soon as I could. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.