Application for DFG — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Application for DFG

Options
sunnymummy
sunnymummy Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi I'm Karen, I have two boys with ASD who have very different needs. We live together in a tiny two bedroom terrace which even with an extension is too small for us. Today I got my application started to try and get my cellar converted so we can have a room each to sleep in, my boys are unable to share for safeguarding reasons so I take it in turns with my youngest son sleeping on the sofabed in the lounge. 
I'm not able to apply for a homeowner loan from the bank as I gave up work to care for my boys and selling the house wouldn't give me enough equity to buy a bigger house. I think I might just lose my mind if we have to live like this forever and I'm afraid of selling up and risking ending up in a worse situation. 
If we don't qualify does anyone have any other suggestions?
Sorry for going on :-)

Comments

• Blessed999
    Blessed999 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Hi Sunny mummy,

You and I seem to have alot in common. I also have 3 rooms four boys even though my oldest is almost 18 and will go to uni.I have 3 boys left 16,11 almost 12 and 7.Three sharing one room Its hard.

Ive thought of selling but even though I go for the help to buy schemes it would still be a big loan I need. Ive even gone to mortgage adviser and they suggested renting out what I have and renting something bigger,With  issues around repairs I doubt I want the headache.

Have you thought of selling off and going for council housing instead?. I applied to be rehoused and was told I cant as I have a home already unless I sell and have equity of less than £40000 which I will. Iam not working currently.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @sunnymummy,

Go through the application first because you need to exhaust statutory sources of help before you can apply for grants to help with the adaptations you need.

There is some guidance on Disabled Facilities Grant by the Home Adaptations Consortium. I hope you find it helpful in explaining the process and it might help reassure you about the help available via this grant.

Social Housing is of course an option too but before you go down that route it's best to fully exhaust all options to stay in your own home first. There is an incredible lack of adapted houses in the UK so you could end up waiting for a very long time before a property that's suitable becomes available.

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
    Debbie

• sunnymummy
    sunnymummy Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for the comments and advice

Brightness