Overcoming bad back — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Overcoming bad back

Options
Di1964
Di1964 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am 52 years old a mother of 2. My daughter also has CP but we are both walking wounded we can walk unaided but do need assistance in crowded places or unfamiliar places. I work part time. A few years ago I had a bad back which resulted in my balance being affected and I now find it difficult to go anywhere on my own. I am interested to find out if others share my problem and how it might be overcome.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Di1964 Welcome to the community. 

Have you seen a doctor about your balance? It might be worth getting it checked out?

During times of my illness when I am very unwell and need support in walking, I find it really difficult to get out and about.  Not only because of the physical barriers but also mentally, I feel quite anxious and nervous.  I think it comes down to fear and worry, I worry that I will have some sort of medical emergency and being away from the safety of home where I have everything I need to deal with emergencies. 

Do you think any part of your struggle could be down to how you feel as well as your physical needs?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • bam
    bam Community member Posts: 326 Pioneering
    Options
    @Di1964 you should really get that checked out. I had tremendous back pain. it got to the point that I actually had to use a walker to get around. My balance was horrible. I kept putting off going to the doctor's until I had no other choice. 6 weeks later I was diagnosed with MS. Good luck to you. I hope everything works out for you
  • CathyInSouthAfrica
    CathyInSouthAfrica Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Options
    Hi Di1964. 

I agree with the other posts about getting the GP to check you out first. 

I am almost the same age, and am mobile but wobbly.  I have started going to a chiropractor when I got severe back pain, and yoga for stretching. My problems were from strains sitting uncomfortably, but the CP and aging doesn't make it easier.

In the past few years I also noticed something weird about my balance - when I drove fast, I felt like I was loosing my balance. I was very uncomfortable at going at the speed limit, (120km/hr) but fine at 90.  I thought it might be not eating before, the doctor gave me ear drops, but it would still happen. Thank goodness for slow moving trucks to follow. I don't drive as much anymore, at least not on the motorway, so I had forgotten it.  But it is interesting, I wonder if there is a link with the feeling of less balance and aging with CP? Loosing my balance is par for the course, even when just standing still, but I never had the weird feeling when I firmly seated when I was younger. 

Good luck with getting it sorted, and thanks for sharing your story.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Di1964 How are you feeling? 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness