Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.


Iam on contribution ESA and was wondering what happens to my benifits when the year has finished .


  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 689 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • abstractLucasabstractLucas Member Posts: 78 Connected
    It depends @kathy - if you are in the support group then the one year limit on contributions based esa does not apply - but if you are in the work related activity group then once you have been in receipt of the benefit for 12 months (from the date you were awarded it, including if it was backdated) you will no longer be eligible for esa.  That is, unless at that time you can switch to income related, which has no time limit but also has all those rules about savings etc.  Assuming you are in the WRAG (work related activity group) and not eligible for income based esa you will need to have a thorough assessment to see if there is anything else that you can claim instead, such as income support, jobseekers allowance, or tax credits.

    I know that probably isn't what you wanted to hear but the earlier you are aware of what is coming, the better you can prepare for it.  It is very easy to get mixed up between contributions based and income related esa - usually if something says you qualify for extra help if you are on esa they only mean income related, not contributions based I'm afraid.

    Hope that helps

  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    Hi @kathy,

    Thanks to @abstractLucas for your input :)

    If you want to talk some more about this I'm happy to guide you through but I would need some more information from you. If you don't feel comfortable talking about it in public you can contact me directly at the helpline. Call 0808 800 3333, if I'm not available ask if you can book a telephone appointment or email [email protected] and I can arrange to call you.

    Best wishes
  • kathykathy Member Posts: 8 Listener
    Have tried to phone you but alas I keep having to phone back . Anyway I have now received an appointment to go for an assessment . I had a small stroke in May and it has affected my left side and my bowel . Alongside that I have osteo arthritis in my spine . I can't help worrying that they are going to refuse my ESA and make me go back to work . I am also on DLA . I am due to retire next November . But I am having sleepless nights worrying that they are going to make me go to look for work , as I really don't think I  am able .Any tips I should be aware of ?
    Many thanks kathy
  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    Hello @kathy,

    I'm so sorry your message slipped through the net. We've been really busy at the helpline so I've not been able to get on here as much as I would like. So sorry that you had difficulties getting through to me on the phone. If that ever happens again just send an email to [email protected] with your telephone number and I can arrange to call you.

    Have you had your assessment and if so how did it go?

    I hope all is well with you and again I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

    Best wishes
  • kathykathy Member Posts: 8 Listener
    Its ok, have had my assessment and been put in the support group , so happy about this . 
    Thanks for getting back to me and a merry Christmas to you all x
  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    Hi @kathy,

    That's brilliant news! You can continue to receive contributory ESA for as long as you qualify for the support group.

    It's sometimes possible to get an income related top up of ESA which would then mean you could get extra help. This depends on if you live with a partner and if your partner is working.

    You won't automatically qualify for free prescriptions or dental care on contributory ESA but you may qualify under the NHS Low Income Scheme so it's worth checking out.

    Have a brilliant Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.

    Debbie x x
  • kathykathy Member Posts: 8 Listener
    Thanks for the information . Wil check it out . I have got my blue badge as I have PIP. And I also qualified for 50% reduction on car tax . So all good at present . Next stage is to look into this free boiler business , dont think I qualify .
  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    @kathy try http://www.boilergrants.org.uk/ you can find out online straight away :)

    It's also worth making enquiries with your current energy provider to see if they can help. Most energy suppliers have trust funds you can apply to for financial assistance. See the pages on our website about fuel bills for more information and links.

    Good luck! x
  • kathykathy Member Posts: 8 Listener
    Thank you and Merry Christmas to all you lovely people xx
Sign in or join us to comment.