Granddaughter with autism, how can I help? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Granddaughter with autism, how can I help?

tracyakes54
tracyakes54 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My Granddaughter has been diagnosed with autism,she is eleven in April,I would like to do anything to help her

Comments

• emmavogelmann
    emmavogelmann Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi Tracyakes54 and Welcome to the Online Community. You should look at our Learning Disabilities and Autism page where you can meet/speak to other family members like yourself. https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/learning-disabilities-and-autism 
  • Ajk110
    Ajk110 Community member Posts: 47 Courageous
    Hi @tracyakes54, it's important to remember that autism affects people in different ways. You know your granddaughter as a person, so don't feel overwhelmed by her diagnosis. As the previous poster says, look at relevant forums here and also try to read different perspectives from people living with autism. I've seen some very good descriptions of people describing their experiences. That might help you become more familiar with the ways autism can affect a person and make you feel more confident to engage comfortably with the subject. But always remember that you know her best. Do you know how she and her parents are feeling about it? Do they need encouragement to talk about it? You might be able to help encourage that.
  • OlliHannah
    OlliHannah Community member Posts: 30 Connected

Hi @tracyakes54

As Ajk110 has said, autism affects people in different ways and you and your family know your grand daughter best and how to best support each other.

I work for Scope as an Information & Advice Worker and although I'm not sure what area you are living in if you or her parents would like to contact our helpline on 0808 800 3333 they will be able to put you in touch with a local Worker who can support your family both in terms of practical support and advice as well as sources of emotional support such as Scope's Face2Face service should they need it.

Good luck with everything

Olli

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Brightness