Boredom busting ideas? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Boredom busting ideas?

Options
jeb
jeb Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2016 in Coffee lounge
I'm on crutches after breaking both legs is there anything I can do to stop the boredom x

Comments

• Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @jeb, welcome to the community, and sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully you'll find lots here to keep you interested (you can explore using the categories page), and you might like to check out our recent thread on podcasts.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi @jeb

Sorry to hear about your accident!  Do you have netflix or any other online tv package? I love a good Box Set bingewatch so maybe you could get in on a good series?  You can join free for a month here.

Do you like craft?  Pinterest is great for searching for craft projects that could be done whilst seated.  

When I was recovering from surgeries I decided to use the time to learn and so I watched a LOT of TED talks and documentaries.  There are also lots of free online courses you can access. (just google free online courses)

I hope this helps and other people can share their own boredom busters!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Options
  • wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 227 Pioneering
    edited September 2022
    Options
    jeb said:
    I'm on crutches after breaking both legs is there anything I can do to stop the boredom x
    Origami is quite good at taking your mind off things. It helped me stop smoking. I do origami when I can't sleep and feel stressed about something. It can be anything from making models or just the process of creasing paper over and over. I tried simple models first then moved onto things I wanted to remember how to make so I could make things like a heart, a box, while waiting at appointments, or just in general to distract myself. I found it a good distraction. 
    https://youtu.be/nnV262Egucw
    https://youtu.be/nnV262Egucw
    https://youtu.be/caDwbe02l6g
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That sounds great @wendy41 so glad it works as a distraction for you.
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 390 Pioneering
    Options
    jeb said:
    Hi @jeb,
    sorry to hear of your accident I hope you recover soon.

Some of the things I have help me pass the time are: listening to music, audiobooks, watching TV shows box sets & films. Do in crossword puzzles and so Duco can also help as they are a brain stimuli. 

I hope this helps
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you listened to any good audiobooks lately @csno01
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 390 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Tori,
    My recent favourites have been:
    The Magic cottage by James Herbert
    The chalk man by CJ Tudor (which is currently been made into a TV series for BBC one)

CSno01
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Ooh, they sound good @csno01! Do you have a favourite thing about them that you would like to share with us? I haven't heard of them before and I am intrigued  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness