In a relationship with a man who has CP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

In a relationship with a man who has CP

Options
yani051180
yani051180 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited December 2016 in Cerebral palsy
Hi I am a 36 year old woman in a relationship with a man who has mild cerebral palsy. Just here looking for support and advice. Thanks xx

Comments

• mikeep1983
    mikeep1983 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Hi, Yani 

Firstly, welcome!

I'm 33 and have cp, really supportive bunch on here
    Mike Parris RGN
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @yani051180 welcome to the community, have a look around the community and get involved.  Take a look at the CP category where you will find lots of lovely people who may be able to offer you information.

What sort of things are you wanting to know?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • yani051180
    Options
  • yani051180
    Options
    I just don't jnow much about the condition.  He was on some medication a while ago but started taking more than he was supposed to because he was a bit embarrassed about his shaking and ended up in hospital for 3 weeks. They took him of his meds and seems a lot better which is great but I just don't know much about it x
  • Sam_Alumni
    Options
    There is lots of information about CP here, one thing I learnt about CP through this community is that no two people will be affected by their cerebral palsy in the same way.

Do you and your partner manage to talk openly about his symptoms?
    Scope
  • yani051180
    Options
    I try to talk openly with him but he seems to feel a bit embarrassed by his symptoms. We've only been together a couple of months but have been friends for almost a year now. I just wish i could make him feel more at ease x
  • Sam_Alumni
    Options
    I suppose it takes time to build up that trust to be comfortable to share? 
    Scope
  • JadeB
    JadeB Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    Options
    Hi I'm Jade I also have mild cp. I've been with my partner for nearly 7 years he does not have disability but has always been supportive. It can be really nerve racking entering a relationshop without a disability. I'm sure as time goes on he will open up more. My partner did loads of research in his own time hers some videos you may find helpful
    https://www.cerebralpalsy.org.au/what-is-cerebral-palsy/how-cerebral-palsy-affects-people/?gclid=CjwKEAiAmo_CBRC9qbGQssjqi28SJABYTgZxSJ4y9Mj4XMnkEZNXAtaDxcFnO_tEH4xw9FQ6PAbhJhoCs6zw_wcB
  • yani051180
    Options
    Thank you JadeB thats really helpful. I think because he is nervous, that's making me nervous too but we will get there eh x
  • JadeB
    JadeB Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    Options
    Of course
    1 I met my partner at a party through a mutual friend and fell on him (blamed it on being drunk I hadn't actually had a drop
    2 the very awkward 1st date. He wanted to sit at the vet top at the cinema (I was to embarrassed to tell him) I went to pop to the loo and fell all the way down the stairs in front of every one, then had to do the walk of shame back up without falling again (he was a gentlemen and did not Laugh, but still didn't click.) I wasn't until his mum asked why I had a limp that I told him. After doing some research he told me he had wonders all along but didn't know how to ask and said that explained what all the falling over was about. If his symptoms occur he'll know how best to deal with them so just be there if he needs you, without making to much fuss. You can share this also if you feel it might help, feel free to laugh we look back on it all the time and it's still funny 
  • yani051180
    Options
    Aw bless you JadeB! I can imagine you felt embarrassed because I know i would, lol!. He told me about cp from the very beginning and I would never dream of treating him any different than any other person in my life. We're all the same. He was quite embarrassed about it at first and was taking too much of his medication to try and control any shaking but he ended up making it worse to the point he could barely even speak and ended up in hospital for 3 weeks. He is much better now though, thank goodness! I was beginning to feel like it was my fault because I'm his first girlfriend and I know he was a bit anxious. Glad to report that things are much more relaxed now xx

Brightness