My product for wheelchair users — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My product for wheelchair users

Options
MrsSCN94
MrsSCN94 Community member Posts: 7 Connected
My basic designs are now done

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Do you want to tell us a little more about it @MrsSCN94?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • MrsSCN94
    Options

Hi there!

I am designing a product for wheelchair users who love to/would love to go out no matter what the weather. The product will be a liner and or footmuff which will be specially designed to suit as many needs and wheelchairs as possible.  It will be designed to keep users warm, comfortable, dry and protected from the wind. It will also have extra features, such as somewhere to keep valuables (eg. Phone, tablet, purse/wallet, keys) safe.

• Zec Richardson
    Zec Richardson Community member Posts: 154 Pioneering
    Options
    Its certainly a product that is needed as my legs get so cold but so far the ones I have seen have put me off buying!
    How can I put this without it sounding wrong?
    They look disabled, does that make sense?
    I'm 6' 4" and aged 49, grade one hair and a beard and I don't want a product that looks like it's designed for an 80 year old woman!
    How would your product address that?

• MrsSCN94
    Options
    This was one of the main points of interest whilst I was putting together my design. I can say that is not 'poncho' style and it will be made to order to fit the user. I will be approaching many companies to offer a licence to produce my product, including top designer brands and sportswear brands. Once my own business is in place all orders will be custom made, fabrics, colours and print.
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Options
    OOoooh!! Very interested. I was about to commission a local lady to make one for me.

So, do you know how long it might be till they are ready to sell? Are you thinking for Autumn / Winter 2017?

I agree with above! Products out there are dreadful, bland... I want colour and style! My legs are freezing! And I use a blanket but they have holes in from where its got trapped in the wheels...   

Also... is there a chance you might make them for larger people too. I;m losing weight but still big and cant find anything to fit! Also.....   not too expensive would be helpful as otherwise it will be way out of reach,...

Hope its going really well!
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Great idea. Have you thought of having access for feeding tubes?
    Just a small slot at the side so you don't have a gap if you put it underneath? 
  • MrsSCN94
    Options
    Yes, the product will be custom made to suit the users needs. Would you mind doing my survey please Blue Frog? Love the name by the way!
  • MrsSCN94
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I am hoping to launch the product either myself or via licencing to companies by the end of this year, beginning of next. Please follow me on twitter (at)Mrs_SCN and my blog to keep updated

Brightness