Hi, my name is Spike! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Spike!

Options
Spike
Spike Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi! I'm a Mum of a very big family and one of my sons has Down's Syndrome and ADHD. My youngest child is on the waiting list for a diagnosis for her behaviours.  Life can be very challenging and I often feel I have to fight for my Son's rights as a person with special needs. Also I get quite miffed when people refer to my son as Downs, he is a little boy not a diagnosis. I am proud of all my children, especially my son with special needs as everything he achieves is a huge step for him.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Spike welcome to the community! How many children do you have? I have 3 but always wanted at least 4! 

I think you arent alone in facing challenges of fighting for your child's rights, there are lots of parents and carers on the community who talk about similar things.

Take a look at the Parents and Carers category and jump in, get involved and get chatting.  You can also use the search option at the top of the page if you are looking for something in particular, you can then filter the response by discussions to find other posts on that topic on the community.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Options
    Sounds hard,  busy and gorgeous all in equal measure! 

Hopefully when your youngest daughter has a diagnosis it will mean more support in place so you have more resources.  How old are your kids? 

I once hoped for a big  busy family...  But now it feels like a miracle we even have one! I'm disabled so any more would have been impossible but I'm so thankful for our 9 year old daughter. 

Welcome to the forum and hope you find it supportive. 

Brightness