NSPCC vs Police — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

NSPCC vs Police

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
    Hi Danny

Thanks for posting - people may find these links helpful too

Find out more about reporting disability hate crime at http://www.scope.org.uk/hate-crime

There are resources for young disabled people who are bullied at http://www.scope.org.uk/support/young-disabled-people/bullying

Scope also has a programme to educate pupils about disability http://www.scope.org.uk/Get-Involved/Campaigns/Scope-Role-Models

Best wishes, Alex

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger

Hi Danny,

The response you got from the police is unfortunately the norm. Until those 'jokes' go too far and the victim is seriously hurt or even killed. I get angry every time I hear a story of long term abuse against disabled people, those with learning difficulties or with autism result in murder or suicide and there has been a long history of trying to engage the police who have failed to respond. Followed by the usual promise of reviewing their practices to see what they can change - and never seem to.

One thing I would suggest is rather than going through the police try the Safer Neighbourhood Team. These are mainly staffed by police community support officers alongside designated police officers. While they have had a lot of criticism for being civilians, rather than police officers, they offer a much friendlier approach to report these sort of crimes than most regular police. The latter too often seem to want to put the blame on the victim, or dismiss it as in your case. They are also more community orientated, and are much more aware of which local youngsters are problematic.

What I have found though is one huge advantage of the Safer Neighbourhood Team over the regular police is that they will spend more time listening and trying to understand the impact the harassment is having. As long as you remain calm and civil it is a good opportunity to discuss how it effects you with your autism. Raising awareness like this is a good way to move things forward.

While I don't want to go into details when my daughter had an issues with a young lad she simply let him send a few texts and then spoke to one of the local female PCSO's. She spoke to him in front of his parents and was told they had enough evidence to prosecute him and he would end up on the sex offenders list. As my daughter only wanted to be left alone as long as he did not contact her again they would leave it at an official warning. This meant that his actions would be recorded and any further similar issues he would be prosecuted. It also means that anything requiring more than a basic police check would highlight the incident to future employers. So my confidence in them rather than the police is much higher.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• [Deleted User]
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Agree with above.  And,  in thinking 'what would I do if it were me' I'd contact your local councilor about any other groups that could help.. 

I've just reread your post and what an absolute sweetie you are showing concern and compassion for these kids.  

I realise read...  For the fourth time....  Cos I'm slow on medication but wanting to help... 

Any clues of what school they go to? Uniform? School would listen I think,  or at least collect info. 
  • [Deleted User]
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2017

DannyMore

There are a number of reasons why children go off the rails, some of which I find people tend to want to deny.

Parents have to accept a certain amount of responsibility, particularly up to a certain age, but between 11 and 13 things change a great deal and they are subjected and notice a wider range of influences.

One of these is how we, as a society, set an example. Adults who don't think the law is for them, drivers are a good example, from jumping lights, abusing those around them. The way adults interact with one another in different circumstances, abusing shop staff, public transport workers and others.

Far more seriously, to my way of thinking, is that there is a serious lack of one particular element of being a child and growing up.

As a teenager I was subjected most weeks of standing in front of the school, with my hand held out ready to receive the cane. It was a consequence of my behaviour, well most of the time it was. To be honest it was usually the same culprits, occasionally one of the other kids would over step the mark and be included in our numbers.

As a method to encourage a change in our behaviour it failed. What I have come to realise though this was not the true purpose of the weekly ritual. It did serve a very useful lesson to most of the other children. It showed them there were clear consequences for their behaviour.

And that is one of the biggest problems in Britain today, there really are very few consequences for children who do what children always do as they grow up, push the boundaries to see how far they can go. Or when there are the consequences are not a deterrent, or worse seen as a badge of honour.

It is one of the reasons why I get angry at stories where there is long term abuse by children on vulnerable people and nothing happens until then.

As a society we have become so fixated on children's rights we have ignored the other side of the coin, which is with rights come responsibilities. I don't want to see children in prison but as a society we need to find a way of applying consequences that would stop the better children from going wrong.

There will always be some bad kids who will go on despite the consequences, and for these there needs to be other solutions.

It always amazes me my daughter grew up to be such a wonderful person and missed all the pitfalls, and yes I accept some responsibility for that, but also know being the best parents in the world does not guarantee this.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness