Dystonia and PIP help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dystonia and PIP help

Options
Elvira
Elvira Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited January 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi. I'm really not sure where to get the best advice. I was awarded PIP until dec 2017 but received my renewal form at Christmas. I have Dystonia and other health conditions. I am just after advice as to the best way to answer the questions as I have little new written evidence since my award was made. This is mainly due to my only treatment option now is brain surgery which I have so far refused. I'd be most grateful for any help. 

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Elvira,

Do you know if you've been sent a long form called 'how your disability affects you' or a shortened review form (called AR1?)
    If nothing has changed then the shortened review form allows you to say so quite easily. If you've got the longer form, you will need to say more, even if it is explaining that you are the same & referring to your original 'how your disability affects you' form. Most renewals are now done using the shortened review form.

If you've got a short review form and most of the questions are 'no change' then it is fine to give that answer.

Is the brain surgery option (which I completely understand you are not taking) new since your last PIP decision?

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Elvira
    Options
    Hi Will. Many thanks for replying. I have the 'no change' answer option on my form and yes,the brain surgery is new since my award was origionally granted
    gwen
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Options
    Hi Gwen,

Then it may be useful to explain why you've said no to it - I'm guessing there are lots of risks attached but anyway, whatever your reasons are, saying what the treatment options now are & why you can't go down that route would be useful.

I've had lots of clients with different conditions who've had to explain why various drugs/procedures are not safe for them and ultimately it has been fine. It's just better to make sure the DWP have the full picture. Any evidence of the risks/side effects/lack of success would of course be useful. The answer to the questions on how your conditions affect you is of course still 'no change'.

Will

• Elvira
    Options
    Hi. There are risks to the op and I,maybe wrongly asked if any had gone wrong. He was very honest with me and told me of a couple of ops that had gone badly wrong. I'm just wondering on which part of the form do I explain this ? By the way,although there is a 'no change' answer option on every question,it's not the above form that you mentioned (AR1) at least I can't see that anywhere on the form ? There is a PIP 1043 number ?
    many thanks
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Options

Hello 

The AR1 form can also be called the PIP1043 form. 

If there is no section to add further information, you can use extra sheets of paper, BUT MAKE SURE, you put your name and national insurance number on each sheet, explain why you have put this extra sheet in and make sure any extra paper is secure to your form.  Even if there is no specific box, put down somewhere on the form that you have attached an extra piece of paper with further information.

Maria

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.