Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How Does our Garden Grow?

Options

Comments

• Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 15,208 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Zimba Yes they were the skyscraper ones. Grew taller every year. My secret plant food for the winter is sugar free ( no sweeteners ) Flat lemonade.  I started using it because flat ( or boiled) sugar free lemonade is a great food for any tummy ache. So figured it be good for my plants. And it really works. 
    I can’t afford plant foods etc. So I pinch Mr lemonade lol. 
  • Zimba
    Zimba Community member Posts: 1,873 Pioneering
    Options
    @Ada  
    Thank you that’s a great tip I never would have thought of that, I have struggled to get the skyscraper ones at the garden centre I can only seem to order them online. They are a beautiful flower my favourite was the big yellow flower heads they gave off a lovely scent. I will try and find some old photos of them.
  • Ada
    Options
    @Zimba Just buy one pack seeds. Let it grow then take those seeds from the bud for next year. I started that way and ended up with five very large pots Full. And marry the seeds ( pot them together) to get different colours. 
    Don't use fizzy lemonade it will kill them. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,489 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @ada I get packs of used coffee from star bucks, they do it in large packets for free for gardens, so if I'm ever in there I take a couple and sprinkle around the plants  
  • Ada
    Options
    If anyone has any book or podcast recommendations, can you share them in this new thread please :) Thyme To Garden!
    Check this new thread out from @Hannah_Scope Its great I now have a gardening podcast makes a change from true crime. And her book recommendations look great. 
    Add any others to it. 
  • Ada
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    @ada I get packs of used coffee from star bucks, they do it in large packets for free for gardens, so if I'm ever in there I take a couple and sprinkle around the plants  
    Great idea @Sandy_123 I will definitely try that. I love trying new to me ideas. xx
  • Teigr
    Teigr Community member Posts: 3,628 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Look at the mess the Camellias have made.
  • Sandy_123
    edited March 21
    Options
    Still looks lovely @teigr I've got a plant I need to photo in a min, as I don't know the name of  it 
  • Teigr
    Options
    We've got five Camellias @Sandy_123,this is the only one that makes a mess.When the flowers fall off the others they stay in one piece but with this one they explode into a million pieces when they hit the deck.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    That would be handy if you were going to a wedding lol or make pot pourri
  • Teigr
    Options
    I always say it looks like the aftermath of a wedding.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Looks nice @Albus_Scope can any one identify this plant 

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,731 Scope online community team
    Options
    Thanks @Sandy_123 and that plant is a species of Cyclamen without a doubt.  Lovely plants. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Sandy_123
    edited March 22
    Options
    Ohhh I had it given to me one Xmas in a fancy pot about 6 years ago. By a neighbour whos passed. I put it in the garden, it comes early spring every year and then goes unless it's me, I can now Google to look after it, then it's comes back late summer 
    Just googled and that's what the plant supposed to do , early spring late summer.
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Aww, it's lovely you can keep their memory alive. :)  We have some that I discovered under a bush that I'd cut back last year. We had no idea they were there for two years!  They're just starting to come up now and have such beautiful leaves. <3  
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    They are nice plants. My rhubarb is sprouting up again, it refuses to die, we dug it out and everything, but no, it's back. 
    We have a jackdaw flying around the area too, people,e have been posting photos of it in their gardens, I've not seen it yet.
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Oh rhubarb is such a pain! We tried demolishing what we found when we moved here. 3 years later it's still sprouting up! We now have about ten jackdaws who visit, lovely, smart birds. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • Ada
    Options
    Fabulous @Albus_Scope I adore seeing birds etc in the garden. We only have a small back yard. And no birds. Betty wouldn’t allow them. But I do feed them out front in my very tiny garden. I have a pair of magpies who call for me to feed them. Truly.