PIP help for my mum - how long does it take and what next? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP help for my mum - how long does it take and what next?

loutsia
loutsia Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Please can you help mother is 62 and was on highest rate of dla we have had to fill pip forms in she's is blind asthmatic,diabetic and has other issues. She is in a right state in case she doesn't get pip as she wouldn't be able to pay for carers. How long is it taking to get pip assessed and what happens if doesn't get it please can someone help I am worried she is going to have stroke or heart attack with the stress

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @loutsia welcome to the community.  I am sorry to hear how stressful this is for you and your mum.

There is lots of information about PIP here, I hope some of the information will be useful. 

If your mum doesn't get PIP, you can request a mandatory reconsideration but importantly you must request a mandatory reconsideration within 1 month of the date of the PIP decision. 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Loutsia, when you fill in the PIP forms concentrate on how her medical conditions affect her lack of ability to walk outdoors and to complete every day tasks, not on the diagnoses themselves. If possible consult local CAB or similar advice org. Scope helpline could advise you if there are local advice organisations

• catchacold2
    catchacold2 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Loutsia, My Advice is     After the assessment ring and also write and ask for a copy of the assessment report.
    In the mean time I advise submitting a DWP free sar request. (subject access request)Asking for this could prove useful as it will give you copies of all information they have amassed. (will take about 3 weeks to arrive although it may be 40 days)
    imo this is something everyone should be doing. In my case it revealed some surprising information.
    If PIP is not awarded you will then have to ask for a MR (Mandatory reconsideration) this also often results in failure so then be prepared to go to appeal tribunal.
    Many obstacles may be placed in your way. Navigate each one carefully and you will win the day. Best wishes
  • Matilda
    @catchacold2 - what is a Subject Access Request (SAR), please?
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Matilda and catchacold 2 - a SAR is a way of getting information about the person who requests it. Lots of government bodies collect information about us, and we can ask to see a copy under data protection law.

loutsia a PIP assessment can take 3 months or more, but if it is much longer than that, I would complain. 

Have a look at the PIP activities and think about how many points you think your mum should get. 

If you feel your mum should have a home visit, then be ready to ask for this as soon as you hear from the assessors (Capita or ATOS). 

It is a horribly stressful process but just take it step by step. The first step is to have a plan for the assessment, including understanding what they're looking for, how points are scored and whether or not to have it at home. Another thing which can help a lot is to keep a diary for a couple of weeks or more listing the things your mum can't do without help, and what help she needs with the PIP activities (eg prompting, supervision or someone to help her do the activity). This will be useful evidence and can give your mum a few stories/examples to tell the assessor.

If the result isn't the one your mum needs then PIP does have a high success rate at appeal. She would have to ask for a mandatory reconsideration first, as Sam explains. But I would leave all this until later. Concentrate on preparing for the assessment first. Do ask us if you have any more questions.

Will 
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Matilda
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    hi, my accessment took from april to sep, that was from my first latter to change from dla to pip

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.