PIP assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessment

grandad5
grandad5 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited January 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi my name is John I have a pip assessment in the morning I've supplied medical evidence but feel it hasent been looked at I've been on dla for 20 yrs on an independent period can anyone over any advise

Comments

• mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Hi there! Just be yourself at the PIP.  My grandma showed me this:  (I've copied it from epilepsy website but its relevant to all PIP stuff:)

An important part of assessing your ability to carry out each activity is assessing whether you are able to do the activity ‘reliably’. Here, ‘reliably’ means that all of the following points apply.

1. That you can do the activity ‘safely’. This means that you can do the activity while keeping yourself and others safe, and avoid harm. For example, doing the activity in a way that would not cause any accident or injury if you had a seizure.
    2. That you can do the activity to a ‘necessary and appropriate standard’ each time you do it. What is necessary and appropriate will depend on the type of activity you are doing. For example, cooking food so that it is edible, or dressing appropriately for the weather.
    3. That you can do the activity ‘repeatedly’. This means being able to do the activity as frequently as reasonably required. For example, being able to take medication for your epilepsy every time that you need to during the day.
    4. That you can do the activity in a ‘timely manner’. This means taking no more than twice as long as the longest time it would take someone without a disability to do it. For example, if you are able to walk to the shop at the end of your street, but it takes you two hours to do this, this would not be considered ‘in a timely manner’, if someone without a disability would be able to do this in 10 minutes, even if they were walking very slowly.

If you are not able to do an activity ‘reliably’, in all the four ways listed above, even with an aid or appliance, then you will be considered unable to do that activity.

• mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    What I mean is, if they say can you prepare your own food.... If it takes ages, or causes pain or you have to take risks....you CAN NOT do it. Don't be brave.... Its really hard to do that but the PIP is not the time to show bravado.

Also, is and when they ask you to move or do physical things, if they cause pain explain this. Again, don't try and hide how difficult things are..which lets face it we do all the time!

So much negative stuff about. Be positive, many pip assessments go well. Best of luck!
  • grandad5
    Thank you mossycow I really can't do anything my son has to dress me from my weist down my daughter cooks as I've got spina biffita and suffer from osteoporosis so can't really move much I just feel let down dynamic a system that should be supporting me thank you for your comments 
  • WaterLily
    WaterLily Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    When you say that you have medical evidence that hasn't been looked at, do you mean that because of your long term DLA you never expected to be called for a 'face to face' assessment?

I have Spina bifida too and i have been on ESA (or incapacity,as was) for many years and when it was switched to ESA I didn't need have to have a face to face.
    i honestly expected the same when it came to PIP,having been receiving DLA (indefinite award) for 15 years. Unfortunately, that didn't happen and I had to have a face to face assessment.
    i don't think there are many people who don't have to have a f2f,most do. 
    The Health Care Professional  will look at all your evidence and take into account everything that you have written on the PIP form. 
    Having been through it myself, I know that there are things you are going to talk about to the HCP, which are not pleasant,but you simply have to. 
    Try not to worry,just be yourself. 
    Good luck!
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @grandad5 - don't worry about the medical evidence which just describes your symptoms.  As mossycow says, what matters is that you describe how your condition affects your ability to carry out various everyday tasks and your ability to walk outdoors.  They might well ask you how many 'good' days there are a week.  So, if your condition affects you badly more than 50% of the time, then there won't be more than three 'good' days a week (on average).  They'll also be watching how you walk from the waiting area to the consultation room so don't try to hurry even if they are standing waiting for you - walk at your normal pace no matter how long it takes.

Good luck!
  • grandad5
    Thank you all I've just got back from my pip assessment  I recorded it all on my phone  asked the assessors permission  and he said yes so it's all recorded so if need to go for mandertery reconsideration  no lies can be told 
  • WaterLily
    WaterLily Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    I hope it went well for you and you get the award you were expecting. 

Please come back and update us grandad5. 

• grandad5
    I've been told 4 weeks and will post my out come thank you water lilly and everyone eles 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.