Benefits as a pensioner — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits as a pensioner

kresote
kresote Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am helping my husband with his personal needs and I don't know if I could get benefit. I am a pensioner.

Comments

• mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    edited January 2017
    Have you called Scope's help line?   It is  free,     

0808 800 3333

I found it really helpful. I called and explained, then a lady who was a benefits expert called me back and spent a good hour with me. 

I;m no expert, but I know my Grandma when she was caring for my Grandad had lots of help from age uk. They helped her fill in forms, sort out respite and lots of good stuff. Can you get i touch with them too.

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2017
    Do you mean carers allowance

Carer's Allowance (CA) is a benefit payable to someone who cares for a disabled person. It's a benefit for people who regularly spend at least 35 hours per week caring for someone who receives a qualifying benefit such as:

The carer must be over 16, not in full-time education and they must not earn more than £110 per week. Carers who are themselves disabled can claim. You can only get one award for Carer's Allowance even if you care for more than one person.

We have an online benefits calculator that you could fill in and see what you could be entitled to.  Or you could speak to Age UK who may be able to help.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Robs
    Robs Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    My son is my carer as you say, he receives £62.10 PW, but cannot earn more than an additional £110.00 pw meaning he is not allowed to earn more than £4.71 per hour. This is a national disgrace. How about a campaign for fair pay Scope?
  • Robs
    Oh byeheway I am now in receipt of PIP higher rate both components, l was not required to be interviewed and will not be contacted again by the SS before 2026. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @Robs - there are two carer's allowance rates - the one that your son receives sounds like the lower rate.  You might want to ask in the 'Ask a benefits advisor carer' if your son might be eligible for the higher rate.
  • Robs
    Thanks Matilda actually I'm not 65 until July. Should l ring the DWP now or closer to the date. Do you know what the higher rate is?
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Robs.  Sorry, I'm not a benefits expert but if you ask in the 'Ask a benefits advisor' category on this site, a benefits advisor will reply in due course.

Brightness